Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

field of study 2017/5/15 22:02
Hello, I just finished high school and I need to decide what to do next. I'm having trouble choosing a university major, and there's not much time left! After I graduate, I'd like to move to Japan. I'm near fluent in English (C1 as of now) and I'm studying Japanese (thinking about taking JLPT N2 this December).
There's a university specializing in economics that has caught my attention, especially these two courses:
- economic analysis (faculty of management)
- international logistics (faculty of economics)
What do you think? I don't know much about the job market in Japan (or anywhere else in the world really, including my home country...). Recently, I started lurking around Rikunabi but I'm at a loss!
I'd love to hear some feedback from more experienced people.
I have lots of interests and I find it really hard to choose one field of study. I love painting, drawing, cooking, travelling, maths and reading... Besides my native language, I speak English, Japanese and some pre-intermediate French. I like gathering and organizing information.
What field of study (combined with lots of zeal) would guratanee interesting options for a foreign woman like me in Japan?
by purplefish (guest)  

Re: field of study 2017/5/15 23:29
There are no guarantees, ever. Welcome to life.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: field of study 2017/5/15 23:29
You say you like maths and information, so get a BSc in computer science, try to do an internship or study abroad during your studies (in Japan of course) and make contacts while there, and get your Japanese up to a good level. Then you have a good chance of landing a job in IT. Guarantee is something that you will never get, unless you are a genius at something.

As far as I know, Japan has plenty of economics students who don't require the hassle of a visa.

More importantly, why do you want to live in Japan? Just choose a field you are passionate about and you will be a lot happier than living in Japan doing something you hate.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: field of study 2017/5/16 01:35
I knew "guarantee" wasn't the word :D
I'd probably be happiest studying psychology, anthropology or painting (preferably all three and at the same time), but I like money, too. So, I thought that I'd give something more "practical" a chance. I'll always paint and read stuff that interests me on the side, anyway. Though if I don't like it, I can always switch next year. I'm still young! I thought about IT, but I won't have enough points to enroll for free this year. Right now I'm trying to learn some Python to see if I like it (so far, it's real fun).
I've been obsessed about Japan since middle school. Last year, I went there alone and rented a room for a month. Didn't speak a word of English! It was even better than I thought it would be. This summer I'm going again, and this time I've got friends to visit.
by purplefish (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: field of study 2017/5/16 04:16
Study math. With math you can get into the financial sector.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: field of study 2017/5/18 03:18
Hello purplefish,

Economic analysis and international logistics both sound really good, but not sure if they'll really directly lead you into any real positions in Japan. A business-related degree will probably give you a much better chance at getting jobs in Japan than if you came with a psychology, anthropology, or painting degree. You've mentioned you like money and maths and gathering and organizing information, have you thought of studying accounting? Probably not the most fun major, but it is perhaps more practical and useful when trying to find a job.

Or how about teaching jobs? Like teaching English to Japanese people? There's always plenty of English teaching jobs available in all kinds of places like nurseries, schools, companies, tutoring, etc, so you can major in education and become a teacher and teach English to Japanese people! Or maybe even teach your native language!

Or how about just skip the whole process and enroll at a university in Japan and get your degree in Japan! That way you'll get to come right away, study in Japan, and have more than enough time to find a job for after you graduate!
Were you perhaps planning on coming as an exchange student for one year?

For websites regarding jobs in Japan, have you tried checking gaijinpot.com? Might be better for you than rikunabi.

Thanks for reading and good luck!

by purplefishhelper (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread