Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Comparison between Bangkok and Tokyo 2017/5/20 03:20
I work in Bangkok right now and get paid like 130 K Baht per month here. I live a normal life , no drinking, go out to moderate restaurants like 7-8 times a month , maybe shop every two months.
I have been offered a position in Tokyo with 7 million salary.
Will it be a good thing to move. My main criteria is saving even after maintaining same lifestyle.
Here i easily save 80K Baht per month.
by Anonmous (guest)  

Re: Comparison between Bangkok and Tokyo 2017/5/20 12:21
Looking at the exchange rate, you probably could save a similar amount on that salary in Tokyo but depending on where you live you may have to be frugal and since the cost of living is much higher here expenses could easily spiral. If saving money is your only concern I think it would be easier in Thailand.
by Vita (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Comparison between Bangkok and Tokyo 2017/5/22 21:02
I don't know much about Bangkok, but the savings measure would be similar. Tokyo is a modern, advanced, mostly orderly city and some basic things cost more (as reflected in the salary).

I would go back to the motivation you have for applying and moving to Japan - those are important aspects too.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Comparison between Bangkok and Tokyo 2017/5/23 11:36
you must be indian
if so better for u to stay there. u will not enjoy japan i guess ...
by frenchdude (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Comparison between Bangkok and Tokyo 2017/5/23 14:36
Apologies, my previous answer must have looked rude, so i will precise why.

If your goal is to save money, Tokyo is not really the best place to live in because housing is much more expensive. Food/transportation/tax everything else also.

If you have a family to support, the money factor is even bigger.

Also the lifestyle is quite different from Thailand, thus it might be difficult to adapt.
In Japan, most of the people don not speak English and you will have to learn some basic Japanese.
In BKK most of people speak English even if broken one.
So like people said, its not only about money, its also about lifestyle.

by frenchdude (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Comparison between Bangkok and Tokyo 2017/5/23 19:05
I can hardly believe it is true, i do not have the numbers but i believe more Japanese can speak english and even on a much much higher level.

Also if i my ask why does the question giver want to move to Tokyo, if he/she seems to know verry Little about about it?

by Kenshiro (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Comparison between Bangkok and Tokyo 2017/5/23 19:16
Am I missing something? Whether the 7 million is bahts or yen, that's as much as many average locals make if it's annual. But I assume you're saying that it's monthly, since you're comparing it with your 130K monthly. Then that sounds too good to me.

I would be more concerned about working conditions, because that's what everybody here is concerned about more than their salaries. Are you insured? Are you being paid for overwork? How many hours are you expected to work per day? How much paid vacation do you get? Do you get vacation, to begin with? Are your bosses and colleagues easy to talk to? Is transportation covered? Are you not forced to live in bad housing they arranged? Is the company not one of those risky ones in Roppongi? Those are the things that are more important.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Comparison between Bangkok and Tokyo 2017/5/23 19:17
I forgot to add, can you live without a driver and maid, since you're from Bangkok?

Re: Comparison between Bangkok and Tokyo 2017/5/23 19:38
@Uco
The insurance is covered, transportation as well. But I will have to search for my own accommodation.
It's 7 million per year, the main motivation is the company itself as its a startup where I have stock options .

Can u expand a bit about the risky things you were talking in Rapapogi?
by Anonmous (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Comparison between Bangkok and Tokyo 2017/5/23 20:10
I'm sure you're aware that 7 million yen per year is much much lower than your 130K bahts per month, unless you're not getting bonuses at all. You can live with it, but not many Tokyoites save much unless you manage to cut down your living expenses by utilizing your transportation fee.

Can u expand a bit about the risky things you were talking in Rapapogi?

It's "Roppongi" which is a popular area for dining and shopping close to the American Embassy estates, and there also are many offices in the area that belong to decent well-established companies. But a lot of people are aware that it is home to foreign companies with shady backgrounds. In the 80-90s, many of the shady companies there were Japanese.

Well, like the other poster wrote, I must say that you know very little about Tokyo for someone trying to transfer from Bangkok for business, and I can't really say that you are careful either. I encourage you to calm down and to do your homework well for your own safety.

Re: Comparison between Bangkok and Tokyo 2017/5/23 20:46
130,000 x 12 = 1,560,000 baht
1,560,000 baht = 5,046,843 yen

7 milliion is less than 5 million due to the cost of living? Is that what you're implying?
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Comparison between Bangkok and Tokyo 2017/5/24 10:41
the guy main concern is money ...
by jack (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Comparison between Bangkok and Tokyo 2017/5/24 16:39
7 milliion is less than 5 million due to the cost of living? Is that what you're implying?

If you're talking to me, I think I was making an assumption of what a person earning 130K bahts/month would earn in a year including bonuses, but I may have been thinking about a wrong decade or a wrong industry. It wasn't right for me to make assumptions without knowing his industry. Please ignore my previous messages. I am sorry for the inconveniences.

Re: Comparison between Bangkok and Tokyo 2017/5/24 16:52
@Uco
It's ok, see I know I don't know much about the place and that's y I m using this forum at the first place. Otherwise, i won't need to.

Its simple, I just want to know if I can save some money there as I know in the long run I will be a better part of the company and ready to sacrifice a bit here and there for now.

I just want to know if with a middle-class lifestyle what amount can I save. I cannot sacrifice savings fully as my parents are dependent on me, but they won't be moving with me.

For clarity:
Current CTC: 5 million per year (in yen)-Bangkok
Offered CTC: 7 million per year(in yen-insurance, commute will be paid by employer)-Tokyo
(CTC-Cost to Company)
Please help if u can.

by Anonmous (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Comparison between Bangkok and Tokyo 2017/5/24 17:06
You are asking very vague questions. you really need to contact some rental agencies and ask what rents will be in the areas "YOU" wanna live.

"Middle-class" costings wont help you make a decision.

Just like Bangkok as cheap rents here. Expensive rents there. etc. Tokyo is the same.

Knowing what the cost of living is like in Tokyo, I'm doubtful you'll come out ahead compared to you current option. But until you do some research specific to your situation. not just vague guessing game. You'll never know.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Comparison between Bangkok and Tokyo 2017/5/27 07:14
5M yen in BBK looks like a lot.
7M yen in Tokyo, not so much.

Going to a start-up - much higher risk. have you done anything like that before? Stock options - you need to pay income tax on that too in most countries, and they could easily be worthless. What is the track-record of the promoters (and a host of other questions).

(I've done start-ups before, but I have 30 years commercial experience which is why my current project is simply difficult, not impossible. And I wouldn't be paying 7M yen for someone when local talent is probably available for half that - looks a little odd. Without know lots more, cannot really be too accurate.)
by JapanCustomTours (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Comparison between Bangkok and Tokyo 2017/5/27 08:58
I would disagree that 7 million is an odd amount. Tech roles for startups paying 7 mill is pretty common in Tokyo, particularly in fintech and data science. It doesn't go much above 10 million though, which MNCs can offer given the right experience and skills.

One aspect to consider is that most things in Japan are worth their value. I.e. every yen spent is usually well spent. I've lived in countries with lower cost of living but life was less fulfilling because I wasn't getting quality service or goods.
by Passerby (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread