Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Move to Japan as a cook 2017/6/11 01:23
Hello, i am from Indonesia, do you know how to get a job in japan as a cook? I already graduated from university in major hospitality management (bachelor degree in Indonesia).
But i get frustated to find information to get a job in japan as a cook, i already go to Japan embassy in Indonesia, they said i must get ceritificate of eligibility from Japan Company which sponsored me. That is the hard part, because there is no recruitment event as long as i know in Indonesia which recruit cook from Indonesia to Japan and i already send my resume to many Japanese Hotel but no response. Is there a way to get a job as cook in Japan?
by Henderson (guest)  

Re: Move to Japan as a cook 2017/6/11 09:09
Are you specialized and have references as being a cook. Which experience you have and how long. How is your Japanese?

You need something that is compared with local that makes you stand out, otherwise it would be difficult.
by justmyday (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Move to Japan as a cook 2017/6/11 09:37
To get a visa as a chef, the degree alone is not enough. For chefs, you need a minimum of 10 years experience working as a chef in your own national cuisine. You also need a company willing to sponsor you. I think there is probably no clear mechanism for that - no job fairs for foreign chefs, so you probably need contacts in Japan to help you.

http://www.tokyoimmigration.jp/eng/ryouri.html

by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: Move to Japan as a cook 2017/6/11 09:54
To get a visa as a chef, the degree alone is not enough.

In fact, whether you have a degree is completely irrelevant, as far as immigration is concerned. The only requirementis experience. Also not buying this:

If you are a Chinese national, you have a chance to work in Japan as a cook in Chinese cuisine, but not in Italian cuisine. You must be experienced in a traditional cuisine of your home country to acquire this visa.

What about, for instance, a Chinese national born and raised in Italy?
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Move to Japan as a cook 2017/6/11 10:06
Or how about a Chinese-Italian with German citizenship?
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Move to Japan as a cook 2017/6/11 12:03
Lol - some of those immigration company web sites are seriously misleading.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Move to Japan as a cook 2017/6/11 12:39
I think most of these websites are speaking in generalities, which would cover 95% of situations. Of course there will always be exceptions. However, if we overemphasize the exceptions, we lose clarity toward the overall direction of the rule.

Re: Move to Japan as a cook 2017/6/11 14:22
Are you specialized and have references as being a cook. Which experience you have and how long. How is your Japanese?

I just got bachelor degree in major hotel management that study is about teory and practice in hotel include 1 year study how to cook and 1 year trainee in hotel, i have 1 year of experience in as Cook trainee in restaurant at the hotel. I cannot speak japanese yet.

by Henderson (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Move to Japan as a cook 2017/6/11 14:26
To get a visa as a chef, the degree alone is not enough. For chefs, you need a minimum of 10 years experience working as a chef in your own national cuisine.

10 years is too long for me, how about if i study again in japan like school at culinary school in japan to get working visa as cook after graduated?

Re: Move to Japan as a cook 2017/6/11 14:40
how about if i study again in japan like school at culinary school in japan to get working visa as cook after graduated

In that case, 2 years to learn Japanese. 2 - 3 years for the course. Then 10 years experience in your own country before you get a visa.

Re: Move to Japan as a cook 2017/6/11 15:28
In that case, 2 years to learn Japanese. 2 - 3 years for the course. Then 10 years experience in your own country before you get a visa.

Well thats become longer than i thought,
i think about it, thanks for your information.

reply to this thread