Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How Can/Should I Become a Vet In Japan 2017/6/16 10:45
I am currently struggling because I have two major dreams: 1) To Become A Veterinarian 2) Live in Japan

Ive done a bit of research and gathered some information on how and if this is possible. As it is now, it seems like learning to speak fluent Japanese and applying for a university in Japan is the best way to go. I would really like to know how one would go about doing this or just attempting to become a veterinarian in Japan in general. I would also like to know what kind of jobs a foreigner can get in Japan that involve working with animals, whether it be with a degree from the U.S. or Japan.
by Jasmine l (guest)  

Re: How Can/Should I Become a Vet In Japan 2017/6/16 18:35
by AK (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How Can/Should I Become a Vet In Japan 2017/6/18 08:07
You might want to read this before making any decision:

It was published today 2017-06-18:
Does Japan really need more veterinarians?
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/06/17/national/media-national/ja...
by Gaby (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How Can/Should I Become a Vet In Japan 2017/6/18 08:36
There are a few animal-related jobs I can think of. Animal Refuge Kansai is a large rescue facility founded by a British woman that always needs volunteers and staff (they are even advertising positions for a vet and vet nurses) and I know a few foreigners working with horses in the racing industry, particularly with breeding and also just general horse care. The problem is these jobs don't usually sponsor visas, so generally they're only open to spouses of Japanese nationals or people with permanent residency. Having a license and Japanese fluency doesn't matter if you can't get working permission.
by Vita (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How Can/Should I Become a Vet In Japan 2017/6/18 21:33
I should add that Vet is the most competitive program for entry in most universities. You would be competing for a place with the absolute best that Japan has to offer. In Japanese.

Can you afford to give 9 or 10 years of your life, and maybe $400,000 or more on a job which may not exist at the end?

I think it is not unfair to say that astronauts outnumber foreign vets in Japan by orders of magnitude.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: How Can/Should I Become a Vet In Japan 2017/6/18 23:32
But you make it sound like it is bad. 400k and 10 years could well worse spend, than trading it against knowledge and respect in most societies that are not quite as competitive.
by Kenshiro (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How Can/Should I Become a Vet In Japan 2017/6/19 06:41
I'm just pointing out that becoming a vet is tough in your own language. In a second language, much much harder. Is the pay off sufficient to justify the investments?

Strangely enough, I was just reading in Japan Times an article about the vet profession in Japan. Seems like it's pretty saturated already - unless you are happy doing the non-glamorous work (agriculture / pharmaceutical industry).

by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

reply to this thread