Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Selling art at markets 2017/6/22 20:20
Hello
I would like to live in Tokyo for 3 months next year and while there, I would like to sell my prints at craft markets. Would I need a visa for that?
I have savings and sell my art online too so the market would be extra.
Also, I'd be taking art classes so is it correct I could qualify for a cultural visa and if so, can I get it before I go there?
Thanks
Claudia
by Claudia (guest)  

Re: Selling art at markets 2017/6/23 12:14
What is your citizenship? In particular, do you qualify for visa-free entry? Yes, this is significant.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Selling art at markets 2017/6/23 15:46
if you come to Japan to intend to sell your items to earn Japanese Yen, you have to have a proper visa.
if you come to Japan as a student or a visitor and someone wants to buy your items unexpectedly (you don't want to sell them, but he/she persists to buy them), that trade is not considered as a business (if not often).
if you open a website (or a shop) regularly (you show your will to sell your items) , that is a business. you are requested to have a proper visa or a permission.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Selling art at markets 2017/6/23 17:42
Showcasing your work to the public is "intention to sell," so it would require some kind of business-permitting visa. If you come to Japan with your work samples that you show to galleries or shops as your potential sellers in Japan (but don't sell to them on your visit) that is permitted on temporary visitor status. If a gallery/shop buyer comes to visit you in your country, gets interested in your work and buys them, and they display them in their shops back in Japan with price tags, and you as the artist visit them and stands there at the shop, that is OK.

You say at craft markets - those require advance registration anyways (you can't just show up there on the day) - you might want to look for and work with a representative/agency who buys up and pays for your work, signs up for your at craft shows, etc.
by ........ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Selling art at markets 2017/6/23 17:46
Hi, I am Italian. I realise I'd have to register to sell at markets. I understand the cultural visa allows up 20 hours work, and as I'd be taking art classes, I think I qualify for that. Does anyone know if I can apply for it abroad, or if I can only apply for it once in Japan? Thanks

by Claudia (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Selling art at markets 2017/6/23 17:48
The Japanese immigration website would know. Or a visit to the Japanese embassy in you home country could net you answers also.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Selling art at markets 2017/6/23 18:01
Yes, I may have to go to the embassy as I couln't find the info online. Thanks
by Claudia (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Selling art at markets 2017/6/24 04:01
I think this would depend on how much you'll be making and how much business you'll be doing. If it's not a lot, then I don't think you'll need a special visa for this. Even if it's a couple of hundred bucks or something, if it's a one-time thing, I don't think you'll have to worry about visas.
by helloclaudia (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Selling art at markets 2017/6/24 13:22
Is the art school willing to sponsor you for a cultural visa? If you are coming for a three months' course, and I believe Italian nationals are eligible for Temporary Visitor status just with passport for up to 90 days, so they might not sponsor you for one even if that school was eligible to sponsor their students.
by ...... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Selling art at markets 2017/6/24 13:51
By being a foreigner, being at a market selling goods may attract the attention of the law. They may ask you for your papers and if you're not legally able to sell your art, there may be trouble.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread