Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What do i need to move to Japan? 2017/6/27 02:54
I am currently living in Italy but after i finish High School I'm planning on moving to Japan because I love the Japanese culture and language. I finish school in 4 years time but I would like to plan ahead. What would I need to move to Japan like money and visa wise. What job could I get besides from being an English teacher? I'm currently at a school where they teach tourism like how to be a tour guide or work in a hotel/ airport. I would ask my mum for advice but she hates Japan, I don't know why to be honest.
by JustACrayFangirl  

Re: What do i need to move to Japan? 2017/6/27 14:29
Become fluent in the Japanese language and acquire skills badly needed in Japan, preferably with a university degree to match, then find a job and a visa sponsor in Japan.

The law on interpreter-guides has recently been relaxed, but you would need to find a sponsor for your working visa but foreign tourism is a booming business in Japan, so you might get lucky: https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20170622/p2a/00m/0na/014000c
Alternatively, fall in love and marry a Japanese national.

Be aware that your image of Japan, even after repeat visits, might be wrong as the love for culture and language typically is very different from the day-to-day working and living situation, but there is only one way to find that out :-)
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What do i need to move to Japan? 2017/6/27 22:12
While the link above mentions the changes to the guide interpreter law, it is (unfortunately) pretty terrible. The official cabinet law decision is better, but in Japanese.

But, to restate what has gone before in many (many) threads in this forum:
- get a degree
- learn the language
- have a skill that is required and that you are better at than someone local

Japan does not "welcome" people that just want to hang-out in Japan.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: What do i need to move to Japan? 2017/6/28 01:01
Without meaning to be nasty to the OP I think we should use this as a form answer in future:

To restate what has gone before in many (many) threads in this forum:
- get a degree
- learn the language
- have a skill that is required and that you are better at than someone local

by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: What do i need to move to Japan? 2017/6/28 07:54
Sorry if my reply came across as impolite.

As an additional comment, I see many people with the expectation that they can travel and live freely anywhere they want. Japan has some quite strong restrictions and that is not about to change anytime soon, and sometimes it can be harsh (watched a programme recently about a lady that got kicked out because when her husband died her spouse visa was revoked and she could not stay with her children).

But Japan is certainly not unique by having tight visa restrictions.

Re: What do i need to move to Japan? 2017/6/28 08:16
That's why I stopped saying that Japan is not a "retirement destination" because it was often taken literally. Japan is not like Mexico or Thailand, where money is your foot-in-the-door.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: What do i need to move to Japan? 2017/6/28 10:11
I would say in many countries money is foot-in-the-door, even Japan. The difference is that dollars and euros are worth much more in Mexico and Thailand than in Japan, so it's much easier for the average income earner to invest there and be given a visa to reside in the country.
by gachimuchi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What do i need to move to Japan? 2017/6/28 10:50
as you have such vision .. now is the best time for you to prepare for better future in japan.

STEP 1, study japanese language to N2 or N1 from now to 4years time.
STEP 2 enrow on tourism and hospitality or I T courses. in japanese schools or any where 。
STEP3 get your qualifications . and look for job in japan.

by chike20 rate this post as useful

Re: What do i need to move to Japan? 2017/6/28 15:04
@Japancustomtours I was not accusing you of being impolite I thought your response was spot on. I was aplogising to the original poster in case I seemed impolite by repeating it.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: What do i need to move to Japan? 2017/6/29 09:00
@Stan - no problem.

reply to this thread