Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

common words dictionary 2017/6/28 17:14
Hello!
To some people grammar is so easy to learn but when it comes to vocabulary "Ugh shit!". On the onther hand, a lot of people finds vocabulary easier than grammar for some unknown reason. (To me.)
Grammar does a lot in the beginning but then, vocabulary becomes the Most Important thing.
In fact, a language is a combination between some grammar points and then A Lot Of Words right?!
Since I'm from the first type of people(who finds grammar easier{ I thought that I can learn words from dramas, songs, novels and Internet. "Clap your hands Everyone!!".
But wait!
"What?!".
What if I memorized some weird words that aren't used nowadays?
"Words are words they of course are used!".
No, no, no! I didn't mean that. What I meant to say is that for example:
You went to your favorite dictionary, searched for the word "dry" and then, click search. What comes out is a Long list of words that meant "dry" but some of them are used and some aren't.
"Oh! do you mean old words and new words.".
Uh yeah hahaha!!!!!
------------------------------
Recommend me an online dictionary that has only the used words in spoken Japanese please.
Thans a lot
by Cake_girl (guest)  

Re: common words dictionary 2017/6/29 10:48
You memorise words that you encounter often; and if you encounter a word often, that means it's common.

Do not use a Japanese to English dictionary in the reverse direction, that's not what it's for. Use an English to Japanese dictionary.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: common words dictionary 2017/6/29 15:48
Such dictionary doesn't exist in any country.
The order of the dictionary original meaning is first, frequent use words become lower usual.
New words, Slang, Dialect, and more specific are separated from general dictionary.
(Read or Watch "舟を編む" as a novel, film, tv-dorama or tv-anime for understanding easier.)
https://goo.gl/NrBNXS
https://youtu.be/jgZ2E6xdYcI (digest PV of half episodes)

If "No results" even if you searched at Google,
it may faster if you ask a question on here or similar where a lot of Japanese or it knows well joined SNS.
The earliest way is "make a Japanese friends" who is same generation or older.

For any lang of the countries (except for some area where isolated) the types of words are only the following.
1) 標準語 (教科書のレベル)
2) 方言
3) 古文、漢文、歴史的な言い回し
4) 俗語、新語、流行語、略語、専門用語
5) 外来語
In case of Japanese, "honorifics(敬語)" is added a lot as a way of saying and writing,
also meanings of "和製英語" will be one of those that foreigners are confused.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasei-eigo
(jump to bottom and see the elements "Japanese language" as table, if "hide" open it)

So, most of the identity of Japanese you want to know is in 2) to 5) usual.
If those are used, if you can not understand the original word it will be misunderstood that it is not on the dictionary.
In long phrases written by young people,
ignored "punctuation(句読点)" and "particles(助詞)" also customized in many cases.
So this is also one of the reasons of "No results".

There are 500,000 words in a large Japanese dictionary as paper book type,
(In above story's publishing company mougue collected "a million" words)
but now about 200 words increasing every month in online "new-word" dictionary published,
however, there are still many unknown words even if you search at "Google".

Basically, "typo" and "fail to interpret" are in every language,
so when searching but no result, pls also doubt the possibility that the original is wrong.

Again, only dictionary is not ways to solve,
and you do not have to hurry unless you use Japanese as work to earn rewards or new love, right?
Seems just you don't know the second reason "Why the Internet got spread to the world?",
(Hint: the first is "War", the third is "Business")
also "What is supporting the Internet?".
(means not network lines and computers, "Google?" a bit close but it is NOT)
by Xedni (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: common words dictionary 2017/6/29 18:13
But if you think about it, even the word "dry" in English is used in such different ways among every day use that you can't expect to have one equivalent word in Japanese language that covers every shade of meaning. Dry laundry, dry white wine, dry humor mean different things, or different nuances of dry, and for each we have a different word in Japanese, just as an adjective. If you expand it to verb to dry, the number of words will be higher. And all those words are commonly used. It is a matter of learning these vocabulary in context, not a matter of having one dictionary that gives you just a modern word.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: common words dictionary 2017/7/3 20:33
Um, ok. I'll try to memorize them all.
Thank you everyone!
Maybe one of the things that made the Japanese language from the three most hard languages is that it has a lot of words which mean the same thing depending on its length, color and such.
Thanks a lot!
by Cake_girl (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread