Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

My surname is translated very wierd 2017/6/29 19:37
Ok, so my surename is Hagman, and when i use google voice translate and say my name Hagumanu the translation becomes 白熊の "White bug's"
But when I look at the kanji it translates to "White Bear 's" and when i listen to it the voice reads "Shiro kuma no" so how can Hagumanu become Shirokumano? And how can white bear become white bug. Is it just Google messing up or is it something else?
by Macuzi  

Re: My surname is translated very wierd 2017/6/30 10:28
Foreign names are not translated, except as a joke, which I would consider offensive.

Your name is Hagman, pronounced roughly "Hagumanu" (but don't stress the u's too much, it's not Hagoomanoo). Sometimes it may also be written ハグマヌ, but that's that. If and when you become a Japanese citizen, you can talk about kanji.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: My surname is translated very wierd 2017/6/30 10:54
Hagman is written ハグマン.
by Kamiya (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: My surname is translated very wierd 2017/6/30 12:10
Thank you for the answer.

:)
by Macuzi rate this post as useful

Re: My surname is translated very wierd 2017/7/1 13:14
My guess, hearing that you used the voice translate, is that it just picked up "hakkuma," "haku kuma" or something close, and converted that to "white bear" (the kanji you have), but maybe you tried it a few times and maybe it picked up "haku bug," or something like that. But if they showed 白熊 and "white bug's" together off of one attempt, I have no idea why they did that.

But back to what others have said, your name is your name, you don't "translate" names. You might get a Japanese phonetic writing as suggested by Kamiya, but that's it :)
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread