Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Self sponsorship and other options 2017/7/6 18:31
Hey guys,

I'm an Austrian national currently living in Osaka on a working holiday visa. Currently I'm working at a university as an English teacher. Pretty great job and I'd love to stay on, but the problem is they don't do visa sponsorship. My current visa will expire at the end of September and I just need some pointers as to my options.

1) Try to extend my WHV for a second time. Problem with this is that Austria just introduced it last year and I am literally the first person who ever got one. So nobody, whether immigration or my embassy, can tell me if an extension is possible or not. Actually the same was true for my first extension. Initially the visa was for 6 months with no mention of a possibility to extend, but I simply tried and it got extended for another 6 months. Still don't know why. Maybe immigration confused Austria with Australia. Anyway, risky strategy to try again.

2) Try to apply for self-sponsorship. Pretty much everyone at my job went that way and I would have full support, documentation and help from my employer. I would definitely make enough money. Only problem is self-sponsorship is apparently not possible when coming from a working holiday visa. No idea if that would work.

3) Find another job that sponsors visa. This one is tough as a non-native speaker. Tried for months to get a sponsored job, sent tons of applications and had tons of interviews. Yet was always turned down out of fear immigration would reject my visa application. Heard from some recruiter-friends that immigration is apparently cracking down on the non-natives, so many companies are a bit reluctant to hire us.
Besides, I love my current job, the hours are great, the pay is great, and I don't have to deal with the terror of eikaiwas. So I would love to at least stay on part-time. But visa sponsorship usually requires full-time positions, so I would have to leave my current job.

I know it's a rather specific question, but I would be happy about any advice .
by MarkusLinden  

Re: Self sponsorship and other options 2017/7/7 12:22
Now the best option is to find other english teaching job. I hope there are many english teaching companies who can sponsor your visa. Self sponsorship visa may be difficult because you are not staying on work permit type of visa at present. Self sponsorship visa can be applied by any foreigner who is already living and worked in Japan for more than 1year.
by guest21 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread