Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

COE divorce and living abroad 2017/7/6 22:26
Hello all.
Looking for some advice.

I lived in Japan for 7 years married to a Japanese spouse, eventually got PR.
In 2013 I moved back to UK and gave up PR.
My marriage hadn't been good the last year or two.
During that time, 2012, I had met another girls whilst still married.
My wife held out on divorce and eventually divorce papers were signed early 2015.

Long story short, over 5 years I fell in love with another girl and we got married in Japan and had a ceremony end of 2016.
We 've visited each other numerous times.
We discussed where to live in the future and decided Japan.
I will apply for my COE with all paperwork later this month.

However, I'm worried that immigration will turn it down as I had met my current wife whilst being married.
I know we have to write pur history and have emails and letters to prove it, but worry they will say no because I was still married.
It's a tough situation and hope that someone may help give me some advice.

Thank you.
by Motufan  

Re: COE divorce and living abroad 2017/7/7 10:47
even if you want to write history . you should start from after divorced ... you dont need to create much questioning.

but as you had PR before, i think you can apply on your own maybe they will be giving you one year. because you have lived here for long and commited no crime.

how did you giveup your PR?.
by chike20 rate this post as useful

Re: COE divorce and living abroad 2017/7/7 13:59
Thanks for your reply.
Well, for serious family matters I had to return home and it was doubtful I would return to Japan at that time. I gave up PR.

Years later, I am in a different situation.
Immigration paperwork requires our history so I need to state it and that is what worries me.
Yes, there's no crime, I had no problems as such, but still got friendly with another girl whilst married and my wife dragged her heels with the divorce.
That's what worries me.
by Motufan rate this post as useful

Re: COE divorce and living abroad 2017/7/7 16:02
How did you gave up PR? Did you return your gaikokujin torokusyou card (also called gaijin card) while going back?
The reason I ask is technically PR never expires only the card get expires
You might have a chance to get PR back
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: COE divorce and living abroad 2017/7/7 18:55
No, PR is not an option now.
I left without a re-entry permit rendering my PR status void.

At one point, years ago, after the divorce would finally go though, my current wife and I talked about living in England.
However, things changed, I have no family here now and she has a good job in Japan so we talked about living in Japan. We're both happy with that and want to be together.

Our relationship was more friendship in the beginning but emotions grew and we fell in love.
Legally I was in a marriage that neither I or my then wife wanted but she was being very difficult and wanted to make things hard...which they were.
I couldn't move on from this but wanted to.
So, all those years, I worry how immigration will view this matter when they don't know what went on behind the scenes.

My wife and I have our history of letters, emails, and Line messages and calls, but is it enough?
It's such a worry how immigration will view this when all we want to do is be together.
We saved up money for our ceremony which was the best day of my life.
We're now saving up money for a place to move in to.
Living apart is so difficult...

Re: COE divorce and living abroad 2017/7/7 21:17
Hi, me again.
I'd be grateful of any opinions regarding my situation.
Thank you.

Re: COE divorce and living abroad 2017/7/8 03:52
Well, you may be right to worry as your history may give immigration an indication that your previous relationship was not durable, so why should this be? But I have no idea how harshly they will judge you on it. Unfortunately there's no way around it if you want to go for spouse visa. How about trying on a work visa instead? You speak Japanese and have experience working in Japan (I assume, or were you a house husband for 7 years?), will it be that hard to get a company to sponsor you?

If you have to apply for spouse visa, maybe just say you met a long time ago but only after your divorce you became a couple?
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: COE divorce and living abroad 2017/7/8 06:57
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I worked in Japan.
I don't have a degree though.

It's actually true that we didn't really become a couple until the divorce was finalised.
Besides we lived apart so there was nothing physical not even when we visited each other.
We had strong feelings for each other though.

It was even harder getting the divorce finalised after moving back to the UK.
My ex-wife and I are equally to blame for our divorce, but immigration will probably not see it that way.
That's the worry for me.

Re: COE divorce and living abroad 2017/7/8 10:57
I don't agree with .... above
You have nothing to worry. If your marraige is genuine immigration would not stop you, worst case they will give you only 1 year visa but that's fine you can always renew

The only thing I cannot understand is why you did not get a re entry permit for your PR, it costs only 8000 yen and less than an hour at immigration center
Hopefully you will be wise going forward
by ..... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: COE divorce and living abroad 2017/7/8 13:41
Thanks again.

Well, regarding PR, basically with the state of my marriage and waiting for the divorce to go through, coupled with the fact that I had to return to the UK to look after a terminally ill relative, at that time I couldn't see my future in Japan.
Despite having made a good friendship/relationship at the time with my now wife. At that stage though we obviously hadn't and couldn't have progressed our relationship.
However, things progressed over time which leaves me now in this situation.

Re: COE divorce and living abroad 2017/7/10 13:20
actually instead of starting all this spouse protocol and worring about immigration.
1st try if you can revive your PR. spouse visa should be your second choice .

it should never be a first choice bro.

just ask your new wife .. to consult an immigration lawyer on your behalf .
because you have a good reason for why you couldnt get reentry permit . (you rushed back to take care of illed dependant. )
by chike20 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread