Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is 230,000 yen ($2,000) enough to live off? 2017/7/7 03:36
Hi everyone!

Could someone tell me if a salary of 230,000 yen before tax is enough to live a decent life in any of the following cities (or towns, not quite sure yet). These are Hokkaido, Tohoku, Kanto, Chubu, Kansai, Chugoku/Shikoku, and Kyushu. I am applying for an English teacher position and before I accept the offer I want to get an idea of the kind of life I can expect with this amount. I have never been to Japan before and I just don't know what to expect. I will also be paying A LOT for the flight and the last thing I want is to return home after a month or so.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Dahlia
by Egyptian Nomad (guest)  

Re: Is 230,000 yen ($2,000) enough to live off? 2017/7/7 18:43
Who is paying the Key-money for where you will live? That is an up-front expense. So are furnishings, kitchen gas range, fridge, stove for winter, etc., and maybe even the hot water heater.

On 230,000 pre-tax, expect 200,000 or so take home. Taxes, including mandatory pension and health insurance will take the rest, if not more. You should ask in advance, and get specified in your contract – whether the school pays the employer share of health and pension. If not you pay both, and your take home would be less. Why not ask for a post-tax estimate before you sign up.

If you live outside of the more expensive areas of any large city, you should be able to get your rent down to 50,000 for a room in a share-house, or even an old and small apartment. If you cook for yourself and find the cheaper places to buy, maybe 40,000 for food. More if you eat out. Your mobile may be 7,000 if you are rarely online, and up to double if you are a heavy user. Buy your clothes at cheaper department stores, along with all other necessities, be an energy conscious person, etc., etc., and yes – you can live on that – but you probably will not save much.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is 230,000 yen ($2,000) enough to live off? 2017/7/7 19:09
For clarity - that is about what a non-skilled dish-washer might earn (at 60hrs/week), so not much if you are leveraging a college degree. But if you are simply looking for an overseas experience, or want to study Japanese, maybe it is OK.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is 230,000 yen ($2,000) enough to live off? 2017/7/7 21:21
Hi Paul, thank yu for your reply. Very helpful!
Yes, I want to experience living in Japan so much. I'm not expecting to be able to save aot of money, but it would be great if I could. They mentioned that I should come with not less than 500,000 yen to be able to pay for the set up costs (including the Key money). So what I understant is that I will survive if I manage to live frugally. Will think about whether I want to live so tightly for at least a year or if I should just go ti Japan for a visit.
Thanks again for your reply. Have a good one.
by Egyptian Nomad (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is 230,000 yen ($2,000) enough to live off? 2017/7/7 23:14
230,000 yen a month isn't a lot, but it's not too bad for a single person. You can certainly live on it. The odd trip will be possible, as well as a few nights out. But it won't be a life of luxury. Totally manageable for a single person.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: Is 230,000 yen ($2,000) enough to live off? 2017/7/8 03:56
If it's for the experience, a year like you mentioned, go for it! But don't expect to be able to build a life on this salary.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is 230,000 yen ($2,000) enough to live off? 2017/7/8 11:12
I will not go there with that salary, even
If I was starving in my country

A young 21 year old guy working in a white collar job like IT would make 500000-700000 a month
by .... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is 230,000 yen ($2,000) enough to live off? 2017/7/8 11:43
....(guest)

This person doesn't know what they are talking about.
500,000 a month = 6M yen / year.
That's basically the salary of a Vet or a Researcher with a decade of experience.

http://nbakki.hatenablog.com/entry/Annual_Salary_by_Occupation

Re: Is 230,000 yen ($2,000) enough to live off? 2017/7/8 12:52

Re: Is 230,000 yen ($2,000) enough to live off? 2017/7/8 17:31
@Dainichi Heater
@...
@....

Thank you all for your messages. I think I will sign a one year contract and see where that will take me.

On a separate note, is it true that my iPhone--which I bought in Duabi but works perfectly well in Egypt and all over the world--will not work in Japan?! I read somewhere that it won't and I just don't think it makes sense.

Re: Is 230,000 yen ($2,000) enough to live off? 2017/7/8 18:04
Your phone will work, but of course it would incur charges if you are using a non-Japan based carrier.

If your phone is unlocked you would probably be best using a SIM-only service. I use Rakuten which I quite like, but they require a 2-year contract. There are shorter term ones too.

Re: Is 230,000 yen ($2,000) enough to live off? 2017/7/9 22:31
Thanks, Dainichi! Will keep than in mind.

All the best!

reply to this thread