Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How do I decline an offer at the combini? 2017/7/10 06:02
When I'm at a grocery store or combini and the clerk offers me a plastic bag or to warm up my food, I get flustered and always say "douzo".

I think "iie" sounds wrong, but how else do I decline? What do I say if I don't wants a plastic bag cos I have my own canvas bag? Is it enough to say "daijoubu desu", or does that sound too vague?
by Tamme (guest)  

Re: How do I decline an offer at the combini? 2017/7/10 10:09
You can say:
iidesu いいです, or
irimasen いりません
by CN (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How do I decline an offer at the combini? 2017/7/10 17:35
I'm Japanese and I always say "iie". There's nothing wrong with that, although it does help if you say it with a smile (which helps when saying anything). Or maybe the word you're looking for is "kekkou desu".

By the way, "douzo" is a word you use to offer something, so in this situation it's like saying "go ahead and do whatever you like" which is a little bit hard to clarify the intention. If you want the bag or warming, it's more common to say "onegaishimasu" or again a simple "hai".
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: How do I decline an offer at the combini? 2017/7/10 20:28
For the plastic bag, "sono mama" works, means "as it is" - I think I learned this useful phrase on this site - works and I use it all the time now (at least twice today). Normally when I am buying a can of drink or something small.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: How do I decline an offer at the combini? 2017/7/10 23:07
Thats funny in my textbook they said hai is more formal, but everyone seems to be using it.

But i understand why people might think iie is not fitting, my textbook says you should never decline directly and say thinks like chotto...

But i assume that is only ment for personal relationships and not for shopping or other unpersonal encounters in daily life.
by Kenshiro (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How do I decline an offer at the combini? 2017/7/10 23:30
Thanks everybody! I think I'll go with "kekkou desu" and "sono mama" sounds like a good phrase.

And to Uco, yes, I ment to say "onegai shimasu", not "douzo", I do still mix up my phrases sometimes.

by Tamme (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How do I decline an offer at the combini? 2017/7/13 10:37
"nai" or "nai desu" can also be used when turning down a clerk's offer
by yu (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How do I decline an offer at the combini? 2017/7/13 11:07
yu,

Your phrase says "there is none/I don't have one," so might confuse the clerk...
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: How do I decline an offer at the combini? 2017/7/21 13:49
You could use iranai 要らない No, thanks. I'll pass. (when offered something)(literal meaning: does not need.).
by Jojo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How do I decline an offer at the combini? 2017/7/21 21:00
You could use iranai 要らない No, thanks. I'll pass. (when offered something)(literal meaning: does not need.).

Yeah.. except this would come off as pretty rude. Maybe ok to use to a friend or family member but when talking to someone else offering you something, 'iranai' isn't polite at all.
by Tay Nay (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread