Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What is my name in Kanji? 2017/7/15 07:34
I would like to get a tattoo of my full name Clayton Greenwood in Kanji, I know it doesn't fully mesh English to Kanji but if there are symbols in Kanji that can make it out to be close to my name it works. I know katakana can be made into my name but I like the Kanji symbols more thanks
by Clayton (guest)  

Re: What is my name in Kanji? 2017/7/15 10:44
You may want to consider asking the question in a Chinese forum/community, they do kanji (Chinese character conversion of English names) better than Japanese. As you wrote, Japanese don't usually write foreign names in kanji.

If you insists on Japanese, then you have to tell us one of two options: Do you want the kanji name to sound like your English name, or do you want the kanji that mean Green, Wood, etc.
by KJC (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is my name in Kanji? 2017/7/15 13:34
When people ask for "Japanese writing" for their western names, there are two things we can do:

(1) -a. write the name as it sounds phonetically (in katakana writing, normally used to write non-Japanese, non-kanji words and names),
(1) -b. furthermore, for some names, we could find kanji that have similar or same sounds to the original name (thus to the katakana writing) and choose a kanji combination that has pleasant meaning. In this case, the selection of kanji is completely arbitrary and up to the person who chooses the kanji, as there can be many different kanji that have the same sound.

or

(2) take the original "meaning" of your name in your language, and find a Japanese name/word that is closest in "meaning" to your name. In this case, the sound/reading will be completely different from the original name.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: What is my name in Kanji? 2017/7/17 00:58
Once you have found your kanjis for your name, test if they will bring you any luck with this web page: https://enamae.net/

you will want 大吉 (daikichi) great luck.

However, why would you want your own name tattooed?

Also consider that tattoos in Japan are not very welcome and you will have problems getting into onsen, so it is definitely not a very Japanese thing to have tattoo ...
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread