Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Facing Matahara? 2017/7/25 19:28
Hi everyone,

I am halfway through my pregnancy and working part time in a small office with mostly Japanese staff. I speak Japanese with them, and never any English. I don't want to list too many details.

I think as an employee I am valued in the company. I've been praised by my superiors for my good work more than once since starting there. However, since May, they have been treating me like I'm fragile. They tell me, "Are you OK to climb the stairs?"
Or they say to another co-worker, "Now since she's pregnant, it's difficult to ask her to do tasks," (because I might hurt myself.)

Then at the end of June, I was asked to take time off because they are worried about me. I kept insisting that I'm fine, I climb the stairs at the station everyday (there are about 100 of them), and I work out at the gym. So they mentioned my commute, and I said I'm able to sit every time. So they said, "Ok, let's talk about it with shacho after Marine Day."

After Marine Day, I'm ready to go to work, but then I was told there are too many meetings, so I should stay at home. So I did. I asked if the next day is ok, and they said yes.

The next day I go, and I arrive. The door is locked. I wait about an hour before sending a message what time I should come in. They said there are more meetings so I should take the day off.

Yesterday, I got sick on a working day, so I offered to work a usual off day (today). They said, "No, don't force it. Stay at home. You can do some work at home instead. We are worried about you."

So today I did work at home...

I don't know how to handle this situation since they don't provide health insurance, and it's only part time. I do enjoy working there, and I'd like to continue. I just wish they wouldn't think I'm so delicate and make me take time off.

Does anyone know what to do in this situation? I'm supposed to talk to shacho next week. I don't know how aware he is of what's been happening.

I don't want to go as far as going to court, but I would like to decide for myself when to start maternity leave.
by Foreign part timer (guest)  

Re: Facing Matahara? 2017/7/26 16:00
do you have any contract with them ?. how long have you been working with the company?.
by chike20 rate this post as useful

Re: Facing Matahara? 2017/7/26 16:01
I've been with them since the beginning of this year, but there is no official contract.
by Foreign part timer (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Facing Matahara? 2017/7/26 16:01
I've been with them since the beginning of this year, but there is no official contract.

Re: Facing Matahara? 2017/7/26 17:19
I dont find this too much different from other companies. My wife has had similar experiences. Better they care about you than dont care.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Facing Matahara? 2017/7/26 18:47
assuming that they have nothing personal against you or that you have no performance issues, the only other thing I can think of is that they are mostly concerned that they cannot plan your tasks with certainty because they don't know when you might need to take unplanned days off. it's not your fault, but this probably puts them in a difficult position to plan resources accurately. Also, it sounds like you have not told them when you plan to start your maternity leave and are just waiting until you feel is the right time, so this also contributes to their feeling of uncertainty.

My recommendation is that you decide on a specific date and communicate it to your department. then at least they'll know from when they cannot count with you and be able to plan a bit more accurately. if the issue continues, talk first to your shacho in a non-confronting way and see what can be done about it. don't point fingers to anybody, just mention the situation in general.
by gachimuchi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Facing Matahara? 2017/7/26 22:45
Thanks for the advice.

I do plan on being non-confrontational.

And I've told them several times that I wanted to stop working by the beginning of October.

Hopefully it will work out after talking with my shacho. If anything else goes wrong, I'll update.

reply to this thread