Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Traditional Konban wa meaning. 2005/4/15 16:19
Hello, I hope all are well. I have a question about the phrase Konban wa. From what I understand there is a longer and older form of it, not uncommon to 'Goodbye' streched into 'God be with you'in English. If anyone knows the original phrase and what it means, please let me know. Thank you in advance for your assistance. Michael
by Michael  

... 2005/4/16 15:16
I don't think there was one particular fixed phrase that became "konbanwa" later; "konban wa" means "this evening....." ("konban" = this evening, "wa" = topic marker), all I can imagine is that it must have been something along the line of:

- Konban wa ii yoru desu ne. = This evening is a pleasant/good one, isn't it
- Konban wa o-genki sou desu ne. = This evening, you are looking well!

...or something like that.
by AK rate this post as useful

uh 2006/9/3 07:53
As far as i know it is spelt like this:
Konbanwa. and it means 'Good evening' like Konichiwa means 'good morning/hello'

That is of what i have been informed by server people i know who speak and are learing Japanese, including myself.
by Nicky rate this post as useful

actually 2006/9/3 07:59
Konnichiwa is good afternoon...not morning...but yes, Konbanwa is Good evening all the same
by Rexy rate this post as useful

Traditional 'Konban wa' meaning. 2008/7/10 00:44
Good evening
by Ms Tan rate this post as useful

Just sharing 2008/7/10 00:50
Ohaiyo Gozaimasu - Good Morning

Konnichi Wa - Good Afternoon

Konban Wa - Good Evening

Oyasuminasai - Goodnight

Yorushiku Onagaishimasu...
:)
by Ms Tan rate this post as useful

konnichiwa also used in the morning 2008/7/10 09:30
People will often say konnichiwa in the morning though, so "good afternoon" is not really an accurate translation.

Whether I say "Ohayo gozaimasu" or "konnichiwa" to someone in the morning depends on my relationship to them.

Maybe one of the Japanese people can give a more detailed explanation of this- it's not as simple as the English good morning and good afternoon though.
by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread