Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Zairyu card enquiry 2017/7/30 21:51
Ok so I left Japan in May after a three year stint on a Spouse Visa thinking how I would come back after three months to be with the wifey again. Obviously I filled in the one year re-entry permit and I didn't give my Zairyu card to the Immigration officer when I departed (Spouse visa expires March 03, 2018).

Three months later and things have changed so I'm still in my home country and have decided to live here and don't have any plans to live in Japan again, so the soon-to-be-ex wifey has cancelled my phone as well as my health insurance, city tax and pension payments.

Anyway, I will have to go back to Japan in December to finalise the divorce and take home alot of personal things that I've still got at her place. So my issue is that since I don't live in Japan anymore, what do I enter Japan on? A tourist visa? or my re-entry permit & zairyu card?

Ok here's where it gets complicated, because I don't live in Japan anymore and I left on my zairyu card & re-entry permit. So if I enter on those, immigration and the ward office will think I'm back to continue to live there and what makes it even more confusing is that since my health insurance, city tax and pension payments have been cancelled, maybe they will want me to sign up on those things again or something along the lines of that...

Another option is to tell immigration when I arrive on December that I want to give in my zairyu card and re-entrt permit and enter on a tourist visa (I'm from AUS) and that's that. However, my confidence in their English ability is zero and my Japanese is not good enough to explain my situation to them, which will most likely delay my exit of the airport.

Any thoughts on the dilemma at hand? And please, lets not get sidetracked on my personal life.

Thank you in advance for your time and advice.

regards,

JR

by NU-Stylz (guest)  

Re: Zairyu card enquiry 2017/7/31 12:27
Just re-enter on your re-entry permit; you won't have to register to anything again. Then leave for good.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Zairyu card enquiry 2017/7/31 12:37
And notify your city hall of the change of address (exiting japan).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Zairyu card enquiry 2017/7/31 14:43
I think he already did it before leaving the first time.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Zairyu card enquiry 2017/8/25 12:08
Just tell immigration that you have a zairyu card and a re-entrant form but you don't live in Japan anymore and want to enter on a tourist visa.
by Hmm (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread