Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to pay for national Health insurance? 2017/7/30 23:36
So i came to Japan about a month ago on a working holiday visa but i was staying at a hotel back then so i couldnt register. Now that i have finally gotten a room at a student residence i need to register my adress and sign up for the NHI (national health insurance).

The problem is that you have to pay a certain amount of money MONTHLY and I have no idea how i am supposed to do that. My japanese is not good so I am afraid to even attempt to ask the person behind the counter. I will only be here until december and then I am leaving. Has anyone ever done this before? If so i could really use some help.

Also do i sign up for the NHI and register my adress in the same place (municipal ward office?)
by Ben (guest)  

Re: How to pay for national Health insurance? 2017/7/31 12:21
Go to a post office and show them the booklet thing you got through the mail.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: How to pay for national Health insurance? 2017/7/31 12:39
Register address and sign up to insurance at the same time (might be a different counter). They mail you a set monthly payment slips and you can pay them at a cashier window one by one or as a set (it's how it works for me locally.)
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: How to pay for national Health insurance? 2017/7/31 12:56
Yes, you can pay them at many places. At combinis too, or register for automatic payments from your bank account.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: How to pay for national Health insurance? 2017/8/4 16:59
If you will be working in Japan you will need a bank account, and you can arrange to pay for your insurance by direct withdrawal from most major banks (be sure to your new bank book and the hanko stamp you used to open the account with you).

Otherwise, as other posters have pointed out, the city office will mail slips to you which you can pay at a convenience store, post office ATM, or a lot of other places. Just be careful not to throw away anything official-looking Japanese mail!
by Gigi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to pay for national Health insurance? 2017/8/4 17:02
Oops, I missed your other question. Yes, you will sign up for insurance at the same local city/town government office where you register your address. They generally assume that you will want to do this simultaneously. Insurance premiums are based on your previous year's income in Japan, so unless you worked in Japan last year your payments should be quite cheap.
by Gigi (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread