Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Spooky Halloween activities 2017/8/9 14:37
I'm from Massachusetts and Halloween is a real spooky holiday for us.
We do witch tours, ghost tours, cemetery tours, haunted houses, abandoned asylums, etc.

Is there anything similar in Japan?

The only activities I've been recommended is the costume party/parade in Tokyo.
I'm not particularly interested in that.
by Bridget Bishop (guest)  

Re: Spooky Halloween activities 2017/8/9 19:25
Here, haunted houses are a summer thing, so unless there's one going on year-round, you aren't going to find one around Halloween. Honestly, Halloween just isn't considered "spooky" here at all, as it was popularized mostly by Tokyo Disney Resort, and so everything is rather on the cutesy side.

Cemeteries aren't really spooky either. Ghost stories and the like are also a summer thing. A lot of major cities in the US have "ghost tours" but I've never heard of one in Tokyo. Maybe do a google search to see if you can find something out?

Let's see... the Osarizawa Mine in Akita prefecture does tours, both inside the mine and outside. And I think Aokigahara (the forest at the base of Mt. Fuji) is called "suicide forest" for some. Might be spooky to explore there, but please take precautions to let others know your location, and not get lost!

Otherwise, there's lots of abandoned houses in Japan, but they're probably not very spooky, just mostly falling apart. And bigger abandoned buildings prohibit trespassers, so it would be risky to try to explore. That said, I think you could do a google search and get some hits and pictures for some ideas in that vein.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Spooky Halloween activities 2017/8/9 19:32
Pretty certain that trespassing is prohibited on any property, big or small. ;)
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Spooky Halloween activities 2017/8/9 20:06
Ahhh! Ok... :(
I know Halloween is more of a cutesy, fun holiday than anything.
I was just hoping that MAYBE there would be something more... sinister? Haha.
Thank you though!
I'll keep looking, but probably won't have much luck.
by Bridget Bishop (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spooky Halloween activities 2017/8/9 20:48
Pretty certain that trespassing is prohibited on any property, big or small. ;)

Right! Haha, I probably should have specified that I meant that bigger properties actually have signs posted so if you get caught you can't be like, "oops I didn't know!" whereas smaller abandoned houses probably wont have anything like that.

So don't get caught!

OP, sometimes spooky is what you make of it. Find a group of friends, go camping somewhere, tell ghost stories around a fire, and freak yourselves out!

Our do a self-guided tour of spooky spots in/around Tokyo! I found this:http://www.japantimes.co.jp/community/2011/10/25/general/top-tokyo-hau...

#4 seems particularly of interest!

Here's another few: https://www.timeout.com/tokyo/blog/three-historical-ghost-stories-set-...

I found a few more then got distracted reading them. Anyway, you get the picture I think!
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Spooky Halloween activities 2017/8/10 11:09
A Korean friend of mine spoke highly of the Halloween event at Universal park in Osaka. I am sure it's not every day, just around Halloween. There web page will tell you more.
Around Halloween also the streets around Shibuya crossing fill with blood clotted party goers.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Spooky Halloween activities 2017/8/10 17:25
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: Spooky Halloween activities 2017/8/10 17:31
Although it is not a cemetery tour, Yanaka Cemetery passed around around 22 o'clock.
I was not afraid because it was bright.
It is a shortcut to Nippori station.
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread