Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 31

1 2
next

Is it normal to have doubts? 2017/8/9 22:13
So let me start from the beginning, in July 2014 I wasn't really aware of what I wanted to do with my life. I dropped out of college (I was 19 at the time) and just stayed home and didn't have a goal, I then was looking online and i found sites about living in Japan and studying, etc. I thought this was amazing and something I can do, so I reserached more about language schools and they sounded amazing and i decided I want to do it.

I had jaw surgery in November 2014 for medical reasons so I didn't want to get a job around the time I found out because I was scared no job would hire me, anyway after my successful jaw surgery I found a job in Febuary 2015, It was retail but It did have great hours and I got $600-$700 most pay checks so I did not complain (too much lol), I learned in this time that I really enjoy Business and that's what I want to go to college for, fast forward to May 2017, I had the money I needed and I applied for the school for October 2017, got accepted and everything worked out. and then now to August 2017, I just paid my tution for the year and I am having a lot of doubt, I decided instead of going for a full 2 years I would only go for 3 months and I emailed them about if I decided to only go for 3 months what the refund policy is and I would get my tution back and oversea fee back (other then the 3 months of school I do of course). So everything sounds good. However like I said I am having a lot of doubt even about that. Japan is something I worked for 3 years now and now that's it's becoming a reality of mine, It's scary yet exciting but also I'm thinking did I just make a huge mistake? Did I waste money I could of used for something else, etc.

What do you guys think?
by Melging  

Re: Is it normal to have doubts? 2017/8/11 11:33
Fear of unknowns and doubts go hand-in-hand - it is only natural.
Why not just try it first (3 months or one year, or whatever), and see how you feel about then. The most you can lose is 3 months of your life, which is not significant in overall scheme of life.
Who knows, you might hate it, or love it so much.
Either way, you won't know for sure until you try it.
by Zzakk (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it normal to have doubts? 2017/8/11 13:00
The usual question: what do you want to do in Japan?

It seems that a common trait of all the people who post about their anxieties here is that they don't have a clear answer to it, and it goes downhill from there.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Is it normal to have doubts? 2017/8/11 16:53
Sooner or later you have to face the question about what you want to do with your life. Moving abroad and experience something new usually postpone that crucial question but it eventually shows up again.

Trying to answer the question is hard. But if you focus on what makes you happy here and now is usually a good guide to future well being. Why not try the three months like somebody suggested? You dont have to answer if thats the correct choice beforehand.
by sullon rate this post as useful

Re: Is it normal to have doubts? 2017/8/11 22:34
I think this is just one of those things where you just have to try it and see what happens. You will have to just wait until you've done it to know if it was a mistake or not. But with that being said, how bad a mistake could staying and studying in Japan for 3 months could be?

I think when you switched from 2 years to 3 months, your need worry too much about stuff went away.
Personally, I think you'll have a blast. lol
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it normal to have doubts? 2017/8/12 00:13
I think its a bad advise to go by what makes you happy, not only is happyness necessarily best for you, but tomorrow you might be already a different person who feels the opposite.
For me if i would have not done what makes me happy my life would be better.

BUt if the question is if you should go to Japan or not, i definetly would go because the Input of another country alone is worth it. Also i really believe Dr Kawashima when he says its good for connection in the brain to live at different places. I wonder if Dr Kawashima even exist in Japan lol.

That being sad Japan is already magic for me, soo many places i like everything.
by Kenshiro (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it normal to have doubts? 2017/8/12 02:09
Good advice, I'm really excited for Japan the more I think about it, I worked 3 years for this and when I was deciding last second if I want to pay the tuition or not, I was getting really sad at the idea of not going and I started to really not care about going to work, now that I am going to Japan I got that motivation back. I think I am just scared that I will fail really.

Any advice you guys have for people like me who have never been to Japan before?
by Melging rate this post as useful

Re: Is it normal to have doubts? 2017/8/12 04:48
Any advice you guys have for people like me who have never been to Japan before?

Learn Japanese. The so-called "language barrier" only exists if you don't do that effort.

Re: Is it normal to have doubts? 2017/8/12 06:04
Yes, for some people- no for others
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Is it normal to have doubts? 2017/8/12 06:14
I am learning Katakana and Hiragana, not as hard as I thought, thst's for sure. Have any of you went to a language school? I know all the schools are differernt but what's it generally like?

Re: Is it normal to have doubts? 2017/8/12 06:47
At this point, I would not worry so much about language school.
Think of the first 3 months as a fact-finding period, you can decide what you need and don't need after that. If you decide you don't want to stay longer, then the language school will be for naught. If you decide you want to stay longer, then you will know by then what you need to do.
by Zzakk (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it normal to have doubts? 2017/8/12 08:28
Except that the "language barrier" could be a large factor in your not enjoying Japan. I studied Japanese for one year (at university, not a language school) before coming.

Re: Is it normal to have doubts? 2017/8/12 08:35
Very true, with the language barrior thing I was worried about that, however. I am going to be living in Tokyo and the good thing with that is from what I know at least, there is a lot of English so it won't be as big of an issue say I if I were living in Kyoto or something.

Re: Is it normal to have doubts? 2017/8/12 08:54
No, there is not "a lot of English" in Tokyo or anywhere else in Japan, or in any other non-English-speaking country for that matter.

Re: Is it normal to have doubts? 2017/8/12 11:14
Yes, however there is english in Tokyo where it doesn't seem to fully intemidate someone who doesn't speak Japanese, I'm not saying there is english in every corner but there is more english then there was 10 years ago.

Re: Is it normal to have doubts? 2017/8/12 11:33
It doesn't "intemidate" you as long as you don't want to do anything more serious than visit Meiji shrine, buy a snack at a combini (and even then, most labels are in Japanese only), or take the train.

That's not life.

Re: Is it normal to have doubts? 2017/8/12 13:25
from what I know at least, there is a lot of English

Then you do not know very much. The reality is, not much English.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Is it normal to have doubts? 2017/8/12 13:27
I am learning Katakana and Hiragana, not as hard as I thought, thst's for sure.

and that is like saying I know "a b c d e f g", but not actually very helpful. Knowing to count I, II, III, IV, V, VI might be easy too.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Is it normal to have doubts? 2017/8/12 14:10
Read my follow up Japancustomtours.

Re: Is it normal to have doubts? 2017/8/12 16:02
Looks like you are waiting for someone to tell you what you want to hear, eh.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 31

1 2
next

reply to this thread