Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Getting a job teaching English in Japan? 2017/8/9 22:24
I'm Bex, 24 years old from the UK and I have had a huge interest in Japan ever since I was young,
this includes the culture, people, language, anime, food, buildings and nature etc.. I was even
lucky enough to visit Japan (Tokyo,Kyoto,Osaka,Fujigoko) last year on my own for 2 weeks and it was just a dream!
I am now interested in getting a job there preferably teaching English but I want to know the best way to go about it. I have heard about TEFL courses and I have looked into them a bit but I would love to know which courses are the best to do and how I would go about actually getting a job in a school there. I would also love to use the opportunity to learn Japanese whilst I am over there as I only know basic words..

If anyone has any advice for me that would be just great :emoji_smile: whether you have experience in the situation or not it would be great to chat with you. I would be interested in schools outside of Tokyo but also would be happy wherever I go as I love Japan.

Thank you.

- Bex
by Bexy Jones (guest)  

Re: Getting a job teaching English in Japan? 2017/8/11 12:54
You are eligible for a working holiday visa until you are 30. You can come here for a year to work, study, travel, etc. with few restrictions.

Otherwise you can come here with permission to work (landing a job first and using your company as a sponsor). This will require either a bachelors or or significant work experience in language education.

A TEFL certificate will help you with landing some jobs, but it's far from a requirement and considering the price of some of these courses you may find better use for the money (plane ticket, rent, etc.). Any English teaching qualifications you do hold will have no bearing on the visa requirements, you still need a bachelors degree or experience in your field.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread