Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Moving companies (from Europe) 2017/8/11 02:23
Hi everyone!
I have to ship my stuff to Japan, and so far I only found companies with insane rates.
I saw an old post with people recommending Nippon Express, is it still a valid choice?
Also, I would like to specify that I only have to send a few small boxes (clothes, pc, books, etc), say 5-8 of no more than 20kg each, but those ones I had found were charging me like a hundred fifty bucks for each.

Recommendations?

Will I be charged import fees for sending my own stuff?

Thanks in advance!
by CaptNemo  

Re: Moving companies (from Europe) 2017/8/11 11:30
i think there will be no extra charges .. but you need to specify what is inside . and the cost.

you should ask the company you want to use or check passed messages someone has asked similar question.
by chike20 rate this post as useful

Re: Moving companies (from Europe) 2017/8/11 14:11
I don't know what you consider "insane," but 20kg boxes sent via postal service can cost a bit too. We used to live in the UK, and have used Nippon Express to move about 20 boxes of books, clothing, etc.; no furniture, to Japan We got all the boxes together & safely, customs all cleared, all delivered to our door, no complaints.

If the items are clearly marked "personal effect," and the boxes aren't full with brand new expensive clothing with store tags on them, usually import duties are not levied. Even if you packed the boxes yourself and shipped them via postal service, you need to fill out a customs declaration form anyways; you just list "used clothing, used books," etc., along with the quantities, and that should be fine.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Moving companies (from Europe) 2017/8/11 14:16
If your country's post offers shipping by boat (as opposed to air) you could also look into that. For example shipping 20kg by boat from Japan to Europe costs just 10,250 yen, much cheaper than by air.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Moving companies (from Europe) 2017/8/11 15:14
Check with your local post office, in the UK for example they have International Economy which is like the Funabin mentioned above; takes a long time to arrive as it goes by container ship (up to several months) and you might end up paying tax on the value shipped.
On the other hand, sometimes it is possible to share a shipment with other people moving to Japan from the same country, reach out to moving companies to see what the options are.
by Jim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moving companies (from Europe) 2017/8/11 19:21
Thanks for the replies! I will see what nippon express offers, the post office is definitely not something I can use I fear, they have quite high fees here :(
by CaptNemo rate this post as useful

Re: Moving companies (from Europe) 2017/8/11 19:23
Also, anyone ever used Yamato Transport?
by CaptNemo rate this post as useful

Re: Moving companies (from Europe) 2017/8/12 22:04
We used Nippon Express this spring from Europe to Japan. Exellent service, will highly recommend them! We got everything send by ship, took almost three months.
Worldwide shipping does not come cheap. You need a reliable carrier to take care of your belongings and deal efficiently with customs.
by Meyana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moving companies (from Europe) 2017/8/12 23:46
Also look into how many luggage you can bring on your flight. Depending on the carrier even with an economy seat you can bring two 23 kg suitcases plus a carry-on and a personal item. I realize that you plan to bring more and will likely need to ship some things, but you should be able to bring already a lot by plane. And if some friends/family plan on a visit you might be able to get some more stuff brought for you.

Enjoy Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread