Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

spousal visa with a felony? 2017/8/15 08:59
Is it possible to get a spousal visa and go live in japan with a felony on my record?
by brandongage  

Re: spousal visa with a felony? 2017/8/15 19:51
Are you married with Japanese at present?
by guest55 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: spousal visa with a felony? 2017/8/15 21:23
No, but i will be soon.
by brandongage rate this post as useful

Re: spousal visa with a felony? 2017/8/15 21:29
It is possible, at the immigration and embassy officials' discretion. They may deny your CoE/visa/entry on that ground, but they don't always do.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: spousal visa with a felony? 2017/8/16 21:24
is it likely though? Because i would be really bummed out if i went all the way there for nothing.
by brandongage rate this post as useful

Re: spousal visa with a felony? 2017/8/16 21:28
I do not believe sufficient statistics are publicly available to estimate how likely it is. At best you'll get anectodal evidence ("It worked/didn't work for me/my friend/my spouse/my dog").
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: spousal visa with a felony? 2017/8/16 23:50
Because i would be really bummed out if i went all the way there for nothing.

Then you should call them at least. I don't know how likely it is they'll give you information over the phone, but anything they say is probably going to be more valid to your situation than you can get here. But likely, actually applying may be the only way to know.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: spousal visa with a felony? 2017/8/17 09:59
In Japan, they are so sweet with spouse visa applicant and made easy for the foreigner spouse. The immigration gives PR visa to spouse visa holder after 3 years and work visa holder after 10 years. See how important is spouse visa holder for them rather than working visa holder!!!
Most of the people with minor crime(e.g. overstay and other crime in own country etc) have been given spouse visa and then PR within 3 and half years.
I am here working for 13 years as a engineer but still I don`t have PR even though I have good character, paying tax, health insurance.
I met one Indian guy in immigration. He told that he had over stay and deportation history too and then he again married Japanese tourist in India and again came to Japan and got PR after 3 years stay. I asked MOJ in general why you give PR to those people before me, they told that they forgive the crime once and have sympathy if the foreigner builds a family with a Japanese national.
They think that if a foreigner with crime history marries Japanese means he/she will improve.
I am just sharing my knowledge. I think you can apply if your Japanese spouse takes your guarantee.

Re: spousal visa with a felony? 2017/8/17 11:53
your right but crime even if you have PR and married to japanese they will cancel it and start giving you 1year
by chike20 rate this post as useful

Re: spousal visa with a felony? 2017/8/17 14:34
sorry mistake ..

some crimes that lead to jail. it depend on the nature of the crime . even if you have PR and married to japanese . they will cut your PR to 1year residence permit.
by chike20 rate this post as useful

Re: spousal visa with a felony? 2017/8/18 21:02
Thanks Chike for your comment.
My opinion is whether its a minor or major crime, all have same attitude.
Its possible that the person who do minor crime may do a big crime later.
Just see this news. This person seem eiju visa holder. What type of visa will be given to him after he come out or he will be deported.
http://toki.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/dqnplus/1316692146/
I also want to know various rules in Japan.

reply to this thread