Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyappari? 2017/8/15 13:26
What does the word "kyappari" mean in reference to a person's attitude? I understand that it's a contraction of "kappa tsuri" and means, essentially, "soaking wet," but what does it mean in regard to mood? I've encountered it a few times, and it seems to mean "dejected."

Also:
「この映画は死の狭間の物語。」
I don't understand the use of 狭間 in this context, as I've taken it to mean "between." I see that the construction 生と死の狭間 is frequently used, but there's no 生 in this sentence.

Thank you for any help.
by Blenheim (guest)  

Re: Kyappari? 2017/8/15 16:20
- I have not heard of the word "kyappari." If you mean "gakkari," it means "disappointed."

- 狭間 means gap/interval between things. Yes, 生と死の狭間 is a phrase often used. (But even with one missing, what ELSE can it be?) Maybe they wanted to say something like looking into the abyss (of the world of the dead) and mis-phrased it...
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Kyappari? 2017/8/15 16:34
I have never heard of kyappari, either. But according to this site, it is a Iwate Prefecture dialect. It does not say anything about one's attitude.
https://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/leaf/dialect/188/m0u/
by Nanjak Ore (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyappari? 2017/8/15 17:12
Could it be kippari?
by Nanjak Ore (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyappari? 2017/8/15 18:45
I agree with the others. Just to add, as for 「この映画は死の狭間の物語。」, I suppose it's some kind of a tagline. Taglines are supposed to draw you into the movie (or whatever piece of work it is about) by making you think "What does this mean? I want to know the answer by watching the movie."
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Kyappari? 2017/8/16 07:38
狭間(sama or hazama which sounds more emotional feeling to the readers/listeners) is much more than just a gap or narrow space.
When you see or hear 狭間 gives the feeling of being fallen deep and squeezed between the life and death. It is different from "between a rock and a hard place" which is "nicchi mo sacchi mo ikanai".
by ay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyappari? 2017/8/16 10:10
Uh, no, it's not "gakkari" or "kippari." Thanks for the attempts, though.
by Blenheim (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread