Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

3 days to fill, but where from HIroshima? 2017/8/15 16:25
HI going for 2 weeks , going to tokyo (5n), kyoto(3n), hiroshima and miyajima(3N), have an extra 2-3 nights before flying out from Tokyo, I love nature , walking and want to escape the hustle and bustle but don't want to do too much travelling about, what would be the best place to do this, should I go to Takayama from Hiroshima or spend more time going back to kyoto and doing day trips from there? Had wanted to do the kumano kodo or nakasendo walks but I think that should be for another time
many thanks Deb
by Deb C (guest)  

Re: 3 days to fill, but where from HIroshima? 2017/8/15 17:14
More nights in Kyoto.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 3 days to fill, but where from HIroshima? 2017/8/15 18:58
More days in Kyoto are always fine, unless you are not a temple-shrine-person.

An alternative might be the inland sea. To visit Naoshima / Teshima and maybe also Takamatsu on Shikoku or Okayama. The last two famous for their nice gardens. Naoshima and Teshima famous for being small relaxed islands and having a lot of art and excellent museums. So if you are not so much the temple-shrine-person maybe a good alternative.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: 3 days to fill, but where from HIroshima? 2017/8/15 19:06
Thanks for the responses, what about nature walks? Are the islands quiet and easy to get to? I'm not a temple shrine girl so happy to see a few major ones but not heaps!
by Deb c (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 3 days to fill, but where from HIroshima? 2017/8/15 20:54
Another win for the Seto sea :) Naoshima is very quiet. The main attraction is the art gallery but I did a pleasant walk round it once. You can also hire a bicycle at the ferry port. Ferries are frequent from Uno port http://www.shikokukisen.com/en/instant/
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: 3 days to fill, but where from HIroshima? 2017/8/15 21:02
If you want a nice cardio workout for your legs, then Onomichi is quite the place. It's a port town on the Seto Inland Sea and a lot of the town in built onto the side of a mountain. There are no roads on that side of the town and it's full of little alleyways and paths up and down. It's great place to see!
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: 3 days to fill, but where from HIroshima? 2017/8/15 23:25
If you are a cycling girl (like me) Shimanami Kaido is your destination.
I plan to ride it in October or November. You can find more info here (or also elsewhere on the internet).

http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.jp/search/label/Shikoku+Planning?m=...

A colleague of mine did it some time ago and really liked it and it is recognized as one of the nicest bicycle rides in the world. And it should not be too hard as there are not a lot of climbs.
There are bicycle renting places on both ends of the ride.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: 3 days to fill, but where from HIroshima? 2017/8/16 21:03
Thanks for the replies will read more, am going in November , I want it all ie nature , active , be in small non touristy places and be exposed to Japanese culture without too much travel and changing routes on trains etc , lol is that too much to ask for , I will be travelling alone !

Re: 3 days to fill, but where from HIroshima? 2017/10/10 12:35
thanks for the replies, would you recommend doing it in the 1 day or doing the stop over in Ikuchijima
thank you

Re: 3 days to fill, but where from HIroshima? 2017/10/10 17:39
I guess you are talking about doing the Shimanami Kaido by bicycle, right?

My personal preference will be to stay one night on one of the islands, simply because I like to enjoy sightseeing AND cycling. If you look at a map, you will see that Onomichi to Imabari are about 65 km, if you do not do any detours. Are 65 km doable in one day on a bicycle, definitely yes. Can YOU do 65 km on a bicycle in one day, I don't know.

If you also want to do some sightseeing, some exploring of the islands, you will be up to probably 80 km. I personally could not do 80 km in a day AND have time for sightseeing, taking pictures etc. But that's me, not you.

There are definitely many cyclists who do this trip in one day. I guess for them it is more about the cycling experience than about sightseeing on the way.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 3 days to fill, but where from HIroshima? 2017/10/13 16:45
thank you for your reply, yes I do both cycling and sight seeing, I am not one of those cyclists who just want to ride, so I will stay 1/2 way and enjoy the trip, is it easy enough to arrange my bag to get to the other end with the drop offs at the convenience store, can i do this in the convenience store?
many thanks
by Deb C (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 3 days to fill, but where from HIroshima? 2017/10/14 18:44
Naoshima: http://zoomingjapan.com/travel/naoshima-art-island/
Okunoshima (Rabbit Island): http://zoomingjapan.com/travel/rabbit-island-japan/
Iwakuni (Yamaguchi Prefecture): famous bridge + castle :)
Onomichi is also extremely beautiful. :)
by zoomingjapan rate this post as useful

Re: 3 days to fill, but where from HIroshima? 2017/10/22 18:55
thank you for your suggestions :)
by Debbie (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread