Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How much is health insurance in Japan? 2017/8/16 17:55
I'm enrolled with the national health insurance scheme, but I am wondering just how much is it supposed to cost?

I'm wondering because I got a new job that I have been working for almost a year. My salary has decreased from my previous job, yet my health insurance fees keep rising. (I live in Tokyo FYI)

Is there any kind of chart, bracket, or at least some range I should expect to pay so I know everything is fair? I've been given a proper bracket for income tax, but I wish I could see one for health insurance.

Also, what's the difference between the national health insurance and employee's health insurance. Can I expect to pay less on one and get the same health benefits?

by BigBoyTeddy  

Re: How much is health insurance in Japan? 2017/8/16 19:10
Just ask the relevant office.

Shakai hoken is cheaper for you since the employer pays half of it.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: How much is health insurance in Japan? 2017/8/17 12:13
Thanks Firas.

I wouldn't be here if they just told me.

They said it's correct. My salary went down, insurance went up, but I don't see how it is correct.

I wish I could get a range from the people, or some kind of official chart. Of course I could "just ask google," but it isn't producing results so I'm asking the community.
by BigBoyTeddy rate this post as useful

Re: How much is health insurance in Japan? 2017/8/17 12:52
because the fee is determined on the basis of "last year's income".

the fee of 2017 is determined on the basis of the income of 2016 (from Jan. 1, 2016 to Dec.31, 2016).
similarly, the fee of 2016 was determined on the basis of the income of 2015. and so on.
if your income increased in 2016 (against 2015), the fee in 2017 increases.
for your case, as your salary of 2017 will decrease from 2016, the fee in 2018 will decrease, even when your future (2018) income increases.
your current income does not affect this year's fee. only your last year's income affects the fee.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How much is health insurance in Japan? 2017/8/17 14:58
Did you turn 40 this year? There's an additional "supporting elderly care" charge that participants have to pay from age 40-64.

If it was just a small amount, it's likely that the city office underestimated your premium in their original calculation and adjusted it after income taxes were settled. The cost of premiums varies according to where you live, so there's no national formula you can look at that will say exactly what % of your income should be deducted as tax.

If you had a pretty significant reduction in salary, you could take your new contract(s) to the insurance office and there's a chance they may re-calcluate your premium factoring that information in. It's worth a try, anyway.
by Gigi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How much is health insurance in Japan? 2017/8/17 15:29
by Chococo304 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How much is health insurance in Japan? 2017/8/18 13:53
Thank you everyone, very helpful.
by BigBoyTeddy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread