Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cancelling National Health monthly payments? 2017/8/18 18:31
I've just learned that I might be going back home next year for some time, maybe a year or more. I do plan to return in future, but can't say when just now.

Move out date is not fixed yet, but will be early spring, I guess.

Question is: if I leave, say January, can I cancel my National Health Insurance (single guy - not company insurance) auto bank payments for Feb and March, since I will not be in residence in Japan for those months?
by Jay (guest)  

Re: Cancelling National Health monthly payments? 2017/8/19 16:34
You are required to notify your local city office that you are moving, and that includes for your health insurance.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Cancelling National Health monthly payments? 2017/8/19 16:55
And how does that reply actually answer my question?
by Jay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cancelling National Health monthly payments? 2017/8/19 18:26
Once you notify your city hall that you're moving out of the country and will no longer be a resident of Japan, they'll help you handle the health insurance. You don't pay health insurance if you're not a resident, ergo once you finish the paperwork, you will stop paying health insurance, and stop being covered by it as well. I *think* you can date it (i.e. stop in 1 week since you don't fly out yet) but I'm not sure. Your city hall will confirm the procedure.

If, however, you aren't actually giving up your residency since you're planning to come back, you'll want to keep paying into the health insurance scheme, as if you stop payments, you'll have to make them up when you re-register for it. But your city hall should be able to go more into detail about that.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

reply to this thread