Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visa for a PGD - no degree, but experience 2017/8/19 20:15
I aminterestdd in taking a career break for a year to work as TEFL teacher in Japan or China for year.
I have completed 3 year undergraduate degree course but due to personel circumstance I could complete my final exam.
Howeve, I hold a postgraduate diploma with 16 years of work experience. Out of whice, I have about 10 years of part time teaching and tutoring experience. I will have my TEFL 130hours by end of Sept 2017.
My partner in a medical professional and she is on maternity for 15 months.
I would like to be in japan or chine with my partner and 2 children under 7.

Any suggestions please.
Thanks

by Buhari (guest)  

Re: Visa for a PGD - no degree, but experience 2017/8/21 07:00
In terms of educational background I would say you have a good chance - if they accepted you into a postgraduate course, they recognized that you have completed undergraduate I assume? The usual requirement is at least a bachelor's or three or more years of lEnglish language teaching, so if your part time experience can be put together to form that, that would reinforce your case as well. Your family will have to apply for dependent visa once you find an employer, and you might have a bit of tight situation with accommodation, though, as language schools might be assuming single persons for their teacher candidates.
by .......... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa for a PGD - no degree, but experience 2017/8/21 08:32
If you don't have a degree certificate, then you don't have a degree. Your postgraduate diploma is meaningless unless you have a bachelor's certificate to go with it. My PhD certificate wasn't enough - I needed to supply a copy of my bachelor's certificate when I applied first time.

I think it will come down to whether or not your teaching experience will be deemed enough.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: Visa for a PGD - no degree, but experience 2017/8/22 11:12
Sorry to state the obvious, but if you applied for an English teaching job here in Japan with the glaring language errors that you show in your post you wouldn't stand a chance.
by Tom (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread