Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

The most comprehensive Japanese dictionary? 2017/8/24 13:12
Hell everyone. I'mm starting to learn Japanese. But I couldn't find out what is the most comprehensive Japanese dictionary for english or vietnamese.

Can anyone suggest me ?
by danieltran  

Re: The most comprehensive Japanese dictionary? 2017/8/24 15:24
Have you tried translation apps you can download for free?
They work off-line (no need for Internet connection).
by Saburo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: The most comprehensive Japanese dictionary? 2017/8/26 11:38
Yes, I have tried few, but they're add-ons to browser not the complete dictionary that i expected.
by danieltran rate this post as useful

Re: The most comprehensive Japanese dictionary? 2017/8/26 13:13
I normally use http://jisho.org/ or an app called imiwa? Both are for free and have a lot of entries. If you are just starting to study I think they should be sufficient and they are free. Imiwa? Is also available offline.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: The most comprehensive Japanese dictionary? 2017/8/27 07:45
WWWJDIC is a staple from Japanese-to-English, though it is community-sourced to a degree. Linguee.jp and ejje.weblio.jp/sentence/, though not technically dictionaries, can both provide valuable example sentences if you paste in difficult-to-understand Japanese words.
by Blenheim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: The most comprehensive Japanese dictionary? 2017/8/27 11:51
Kenkyuusha's is the best there is. Period. Lots of editions available including romanised, iOS apps, etc. Most free bilingual dictionaries including those mentioned above use the same database. They are riddled with poor or incorrect example sentences, and while the definitions can be useful for J-E, as E-J dictionaries they fall well short.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: The most comprehensive Japanese dictionary? 2017/8/30 01:14
Please note, though, that a Kenkyuusha's going to set you back about US$100. It's a good tool, but keep in mind that it has the same problem with listing archaic/awkward translations that other major online dictionaries do. (This is, unfortunately, a chronic problem with JA-EN/EN-JA dictionaries.)

If you're just starting out, then a basic paperback dictionary or an online dictionary will be just fine for the words you'll be learning. Once you get into more advanced vocabulary, things might become a little stickier - though the good, major online dictionaries aren't quite the minefield that Liz suggests.
by Blenheim (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread