Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

4 days in Chugoku to Kyushu 2017/8/31 05:19
Once again I'd like to ask for your advice and input.

After staying at Okayama for 3 days I have 4 days left in (north/west) Chugoku before I need to head to Kyushu.
I wondered what is possible.
I have been to Hiroshima and Yamaguchi (Akishiyodai). I'm mainly into hiking or enjoying nature in other ways. But other activities would be acceptable as well.
Looking at the destinations Mount Daisen, Tottori, Matsue and Izumo are most interesting.
So Okayama - Tottori - Mount Daisen - Matsue - Izumo could be a route.

My Problem are travel times. I travel by train with JR rail pass.
I wouldn't want to travel by "day hopping" (getting to a new area every other day) and prefer to stay at a place for at least 2 days. But even if I do the hopping I have no idea how to get from Izumo to Kyushu without losing a day by traveling.
I wouldn't mind a 3 hour train ride along the northern coast down to Kyushu, that's probably scenic. But the fastest connection I can find is a 4 hour ride to Nagatoshi with San-In line limited express which seems to run only once at 11am. And from there an additional 2 hours to say Kokura.
Other connections would go from Izumo back via Okayama to Kyushu in about 5 hours. Not much faster either.

Well that's just too long for one ride.
Do you have any ideas for a route for those 4 days? Maybe I'll stick to the south with the convenience of the shinkansen connections. :/

by WortPirat  

Re: 4 days in Chugoku to Kyushu 2017/8/31 11:32
How about Tsuwano and Hagi, you don't see too many foreign tourists there, yet.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5875.html
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6150.html
by kanda m (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 4 days in Chugoku to Kyushu 2017/8/31 14:23
Right, I already looked at both. Especially Hagi seems tempting to buy some nice pottery to take back with.
So I'd stay somewhere near Shin-Yamaguchi and take a day trip to both of them.
Staying at those places seems a bit much for 4 days though, doesn't ist?
Seems both offer enough for a day trip max.
by WortPirat rate this post as useful

Re: 4 days in Chugoku to Kyushu 2017/8/31 18:09
What have/did you do on your last visit to Hiroshima?

Go for a train ride along the Kure Line and stop at the museums and beaches?
Go for a train ride along the Nishikigawa Railway along the river and take in the scenery?
Visit and explored Iwakuni?

by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 4 days in Chugoku to Kyushu 2017/9/1 02:23
I haven't been to much. I have been to the peace park and Itsukushima.

I'll look into your suggestions, thanks :)

Re: 4 days in Chugoku to Kyushu 2017/9/1 10:19
Did you rule out Shikoku? You could stay 4 days in Takamatsu, go to Naoshima, Teshima a day each. Enjoy Takamatsu and temples close by our also do some hiking more in the center of Shikoku and then transfer over again to Honshu and take a Shinkansen down to Kyushu.
Or you can even take a ferry to Kyushu from some Shikoku ports. Night ferries might also be available.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: 4 days in Chugoku to Kyushu 2017/9/2 00:55
I'm going to take day trips from Okayama to Shikoku. :)

Re: 4 days in Chugoku to Kyushu 2017/9/6 05:31
Thanks for all your input.
I decided to stay subtract one day for better usage of my rail pass and stay the other days at Hiroshima to visit that area.
:)

reply to this thread