Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Autumn in Tohoku region or Kyoto? 2017/8/31 21:18
Next year I'm going to Japan for 4 weeks. I want to enjoy the Japanese koyo season for one of those weeks.

I'm thinking of either going to Japan mid October and go up to the Tohoku region. I will end in Kyoto, but will miss the peak colours there.

Or I go to Japan in the beginning of November and spend the last week in November in Kyoto?

What do you think would be best? I love nature, hiking, culture, architecture and so on.

I would love to see the temples in Kyoto in autumn colours but I've heard it can get extremely crowded!

I love nature and Tohoku seem to have some awesome koyo spots, like Oirase stream, but I'm scared that Tohoku will be disappointing if I miss the autumn peak. In Kyoto there's a lot to do either way.

by SandraHart  

Re: Autumn in Tohoku region or Kyoto? 2017/9/1 10:06
If you have a true choice (that is, you can go WHENEVER you want), autumn in Kyoto is hard to beat. Most people don't have that option, so they go where ever the autumn leaves are.
by SGK (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Autumn in Tohoku region or Kyoto? 2017/9/1 15:52
Second that. If you have the option to be in Kyoto in late November, do it.

It does get crowded, but it's only bad at certain famous sites (Tofukuji & Eikando are especially bad - but for good reason as the colours are stunning!)

The city is surrounded by fantastic hiking, with great autumn colours - the Kurama hike and Takao / Arashiyama hike are particularly good:

http://www.4corners7seas.com/asia/japan/hiking-kyoto/mt-kurama/

http://www.4corners7seas.com/asia/japan/hiking-kyoto/takao-kyoto/

For temples & shrines, Fushimi Inari is nice in autumn and escapes the crowds. Also Shinnyodo temple is spectacular, and only gets moderately crowded.

Tohoku is fantastic too, but I really would go with Kyoto for koyo
by Simon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Autumn in Tohoku region or Kyoto? 2017/9/2 02:29
I have hiked the Takao - Arashiyama leg in the fall. Parts of the trail are stunningly beautiful. If you decide to do this allow an entire day for a comfortable walk.
by sjvacc rate this post as useful

reply to this thread