Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hiroshima, Matsue, Osaka, Sapporo, Tokyo 2017/8/31 21:35
Hi there. Will be visiting Japan from 27/10 to 13/11. Been to Japan many times for both work and pleasure. Will have a 14 day JR Pass.
Arriving NRT late and staying one night in Tokyo and then Hiroshima (3 nights), Matsue (3 nights), Osaka (3 nights). Flying to Sapporo (3 nights), Hirosaki (1 night) then back to Tokyo for 3 nights before flying back to Australia.

A couple of questions:
1. Hiroshima to Matsue. One option is Shinkansen to Shin-Yamaguchi then Yamaguchi and Sanin lines to Matsue. Is this particularly scenic - specifically the Sanin coastal route? Takes a total of approx 4.5 hours. I will have a JR Pass. Or quicker option is to take the bus from Hiroshima to Matuse using the 500yen gaijin special which takes under 3 hours. Thoughts?

2. Hirosaki to Tokyo. One option is to take the Resort Shirikami to Akita and then Shinkansen to Tokyo (assuming that the train is running on the date I need - November timetable doesn't seem to be available yet). Or train to Shin-Aomori and then Shinkansen down to Tokyo. Anyone been on the Resort Shirikami? Scenic? Worth the extra time?

3. Have previously visited Hiroshima/Osaka/Sapporo/Tokyo so already seen/done most of the main tourist things there. Any suggestions for something a little different/unique in those areas? Would prefer more of an experience than just looking at tourist things. Will have JR Pass so day trips around the area are all good.

Sorry for the slightly vague questions. I love visiting Japan and much prefer seeing and experiencing the local life and culture than just ticking off sights from a guide book.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!
by shoebox (guest)  

Re: Hiroshima, Matsue, Osaka, Sapporo, Tokyo 2017/9/1 10:33
Anyone been on the Resort Shirikami? Scenic? Worth the extra time?

No.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima, Matsue, Osaka, Sapporo, Tokyo 2017/9/1 10:41
In general I think looking at a scenery through train windows is the touristy thing par excellence. If you want to truly enjoy an area's scenery, get off the train and explore.

Re: Hiroshima, Matsue, Osaka, Sapporo, Tokyo 2017/9/1 11:20
1. I took the shinkansen from Hiroshima to Shin-Yamaguchi and took the Super Oki ltd exp to Izumo via Matsuda. I was given the seat on the wrong side of the train and missed out on the views. From what I could see, it was nice, but nothing too special. If you want to see the rocky coastlines, I'd reccommend something like Goishikaigan from just north of Rikuzentakata to Ofunato in Tohoku or many other coastlines that are similar. But they're better explored on foot.

It took the same amount of time than taking the shinkansen to Okayama and then the ltd exp to Matsue. But since I had already taken that route in a previous visit, I wanted to see what the other route had to offer.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima, Matsue, Osaka, Sapporo, Tokyo 2017/9/1 13:16

Anyone been on the Resort Shirikami? Scenic? Worth the extra time?

I have done this trip twice, and certainly worth the extra time . Unfortunately, this train is reservation only and tickets sold out fast.
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima, Matsue, Osaka, Sapporo, Tokyo 2017/9/1 13:31
tickets sold out fast.

Not really. Even for this weekend, only three services out of six are booked out.

Re: Hiroshima, Matsue, Osaka, Sapporo, Tokyo 2017/9/1 13:40

Hiroshima to Matsue.

I once visited Matsue taking train from Hiroshima via Okayama, and could not recall anything interesting.
If I were you, for 500‰~ I would not hesitate to take the bus, the bus possibly stops halfway in an interesting "michi-no-eki" .

http://www.kankou-shimane.com/en/?p=6485
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima, Matsue, Osaka, Sapporo, Tokyo 2017/9/1 14:34
For tips what to do around Tokyo check out this recent thread.

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+158907

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima, Matsue, Osaka, Sapporo, Tokyo 2017/9/4 20:23
Thanks for all the responses everybody!
by shoebox (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima, Matsue, Osaka, Sapporo, Tokyo 2017/9/4 22:27
Does anybody have a link to the time schedule of the Matsue-Hiroshima 500 yen bus? Thanks.
by AT (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima, Matsue, Osaka, Sapporo, Tokyo 2017/9/4 22:31
by shoebox (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread