Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Job offer asking me to mail my diploma 2017/9/2 13:14
In a nutshell, I am American currently living in America. I was offered a job (no interview or anything) in Japan. After a bit research, it is a reputable school and everything seems legit.

The school manager (or recruiter) is asking me to mail them the original copy of my university diploma and TESOL. Mailing my originals to Japan is just not something I'm willing to risk. I was offered the opportunity to work under a tourist visa while it processes if I can't mail them, but isn't that illegal?

I offered the school a copy of my official transcripts, but they're still unsure. What do you think?

Thanks.
by nascar2  

Re: Job offer asking me to mail my diploma 2017/9/3 08:33
The school manager (or recruiter) is asking me to mail them the original copy of my university diploma and TESOL.

This is common practice. You will get back the original afterwards. Alternatively, I understand that an original letter (not a copy) from the university that confirms graduation could also possibly be acceptable.

I was offered the opportunity to work under a tourist visa while it processes if I can't mail them, but isn't that illegal?

Yes, that is illegal, but probably not too uncommonly done when the employment schedule does not smoothly match with immigration matters.

I offered the school a copy of my official transcripts, but they're still unsure. What do you think?

The immigration bureau doesn't need the transcripts. They need the diploma.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Job offer asking me to mail my diploma 2017/9/3 08:50
Thanks! I'll be sure to inquire about a letter.
by nascar2 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread