Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

English commentary on Sumo 2017/9/3 18:30
I will be watching the Fukuoka Sumo basho while in Tokyo, on TV. What is the best way to tap into live English language commentary? NHK have a service I think. If that is on radio, what frequency is it? Or can I get it online without a time delay?
by swordfish24  

Re: English commentary on Sumo 2017/9/4 11:12
Are you going to be at a hotel? If so, then the television in your room will have the channel 2 for the English content. One of the buttons will trigger the secondary audio program.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: English commentary on Sumo 2017/9/4 11:28
I forgot to mention that NHK broadcasts the tournament. It is usually on the basic channels. I think the remote has a BS button to access those stations, I'm not sure.... Once you get to the hotel, use the remote and you'll figure it out. It's rather simple.

Re: English commentary on Sumo 2017/9/4 14:54
Once you find the right button on the remote it is easy. I thought a quick search would bring up plenty of instructions but this hasnt proved to be the case. What I have done in the past is turn the sumo on & work through the remote buttons that look likely. It doesnt take long.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: English commentary on Sumo 2017/9/4 19:43
There's also English coverage on NHK World (which is sometimes one of the channels on hotel TVs, but which is also on the net).

The NHK World programme is broadcast with a delay, and they only show makuuchi bouts, and don't show all of the build-up, but the commentary is in English.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: English commentary on Sumo 2017/9/4 21:16
Can someone tell me when the Sumo fight is and what the exact adress of the nhk netstream is. Iould not watch Sumo dnce Asashoryo became the dominating Yokuzuna. For some reason my country stopped the Sumo coverage.
by Kenshiro (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: English commentary on Sumo 2017/9/4 22:55
I typed "NHK netstream sumo" and the top result was this: https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/vod/sumo/

Re: English commentary on Sumo 2017/9/5 00:05
That is the NHK VOD(Video on Demand) and only shows highlights of the top matches. While it shows all the bouts, it skips all the pomp and circumstance. And it's a day late. I don't know if they stream it live.

Re: English commentary on Sumo 2017/9/5 00:44
That's pretty much what I said just above, John.
I don't know if you can watch Japanese NHK - where I assume they have live and full coverage of bouts from different divisions - online.

reply to this thread