Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tottori city bus 2017/9/5 10:49
Hi,

I'm planning a one day trip to Tottori in November but I can only find contrasting or outdated information so I would like to hear from your direct experience:

I'm going from Nagoya straight to Tottori, I have a Japan Rail Pass but part of the itinerary is operated either by Super Hakuto 3 or Ltd Express Inaba 3 which have a surcharge.. How much is this surcharge? An article said it was 1670yen (base fare + unreserved seat) but it's from 2012....does someone have more recent news or knows where can I check companies surcharges for JR pass users?

Once arrived at Tottori Station which bus should I take to go as near as possible to the sand dunes CHAIRLIFT? (It seems like kirinjishi loop bus works only on holidays and weekends while the 100yen bus doesn't stop there.) How much is the round trip to the dunes and back to the station? I would like to take the chairlift one way and then walk back on foot, how much do you think it will take?

I found some link to local bus companies in other threads but they lead to a page with dozens of pdf files in japanese and I didn't know where to look, the threads were some years old anyways..

Optional: is there some good place to eat nearby (typical dish is preferred)?

Sorry for the so many questions, the more I search for info the more I get confused! :)

Thank you for your help!
by leerendix  

Re: Tottori city bus 2017/9/6 15:42

part of the itinerary is operated either by Super Hakuto 3 or Ltd Express Inaba 3 which have a surcharge

Nov 2013 I took Ltd Express Inaba 3 for a day visit to Tottori from Okayama using JR pass, and was sure a surcharge was applicable for the trip. Surprisingly, no surcharge. Could it be that because I departed from Okayama?
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tottori city bus 2017/9/6 16:09

By regular city bus
From Tottori Station, take a bus bound for the Tottori Sakyu (’¹Žæ»‹u) and get off at the last stop. The one way ride takes 20 minutes and costs 370 yen. There are hourly departures from bus stop #0 in front of Tottori Station.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e8102.html
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tottori city bus 2017/9/6 16:11

(By bus)@
From Tottori Station, take the Nikko or Hinomaru bus bound for the Tottori Sand Dune (Tottori Sakyuu) and get off there

http://www.tottori-tour.jp/en/sightseeing/456/
by * (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tottori city bus 2017/9/6 16:26
Are you referring to this bus schedule?
https://www.nihonkotsu.co.jp/bus/limousine_route/route_tottori/sakyu29...

It is current (updated April 1, 2017).

The top table is the schedule from Tottori station, ending at the dunes. Departing at 9:10, 9:40, 10:50, etc.. If you want to ride the chair lift down to the dunes, get off at »‹uƒZƒ“ƒ^[“W–]‘ä, which is the third row from the bottom (arriving at 9:30, 10:00, 11:10, etc.). Two stops later is the dunes ’¹Žæ»‹u.

For the return trip to Tottori station, refer to the bottom table. You can take the chair lift back to »‹uƒZƒ“ƒ^[“W–]‘ä (there is a discount round trip ticket), or just take the bus at the dunes.

I had a good lunch at the cafeteria of »‹uƒZƒ“ƒ^[“W–]‘ä, or I saw some shops/restaurants near the bus terminal at the dunes.

by SA9 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tottori city bus 2017/9/6 16:33
I went with a JR Pass also, and I don't recall paying any surcharge.
by SA9 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tottori city bus 2017/9/6 20:35
Thank you very much for the bus timetable!!

I'm sure I read that since the trains use Chizu Kyuko private railway for a section of the trip a surcharge was asked to JR pass users..maybe it's a matter of luck whether or not they check your ticket either onboard or at the gate exit? :S Or maybe the information are old and they included the whole trip in the JR pass..I'll let you know!

Do you know approximately how much would it take on foot from the sand dunes (let's say the seashore) to the nearest bus stop leading back to the station?
by leerendix rate this post as useful

Re: Tottori city bus 2017/9/6 20:46
30 seconds! All you do is cross the street, lol!

At the start of the sand dunes and next to the ropeway, there is a bus stop where most tourist buses stop and where many souvenir shops and eateries are located. The bus that goes to back to the station stops there. The bus stand is next to a koi pond with the timetables.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Tottori city bus 2017/9/6 20:50
Oh, I see... you meant the seashore! (duh). Well, that depends on how fast you can walk uphill. I wouldn't really recommend walking down to the seashore, as the waves are pretty intense down there. But if you do, you have to climb the sand dunes and go back down and then walk uphill all the way to the road, which in total is probably about 500 meters. It may take you about 20 minutes if you're quick. Remember, walking on sand isn't the same as walking on solid pavement.

Re: Tottori city bus 2017/9/6 23:15
Yes that's what I meant! Actually that's my fault, I assumed that the chairlift lead directly to the seashore which is not, I google mapped (?) the chairlift exit and it's still far from the seashore! I better take a round trip! :P

Thank you everyone for the precious info ;)
by leerendix rate this post as useful

Re: Tottori city bus 2017/9/6 23:27
The ropeway is kind of a waste of time, since it's halfway from the Sand Museum to the Sand Dunes. If you're going to the museum first, then by all means take the "scenic" route and use the ropeway to get to the dunes themselves. But there's no need to take the ropeway back to its origin, since the bus doesn't even stop there. It stops at the dunes (the eatery/souvenir area) and then goes to the museum before heading back to Tottori Station.

Re: Tottori city bus 2017/9/7 08:30
Speaking of Tottori buses, is there any bus that goes from Karoichi Market to the sand dunes? I see that there is the Kirin Jishi Bus on weekends in the opposite direction, but otherwise all the other city buses seem to have to pass through Tottori station. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
by AT (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread