Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Has still 2 years visa and want to re-marry. 2017/9/7 08:46
Hi. I'm divorced from my ex husband 4 months ago.. now i have boyfriend.. we want to marry next year .. so we can live together and to get my child in th philippines.. but the question is, i have still 2 years visa from my ex-husband.. if i re-marry is my visa will revoke? Or i can use it until expiration? Your advice would be helpful.. thank you in advance!
by Mayvi  

Re: Has still 2 years visa and want to re-marry. 2017/9/7 11:48
As woman in Japan (Japanese or foreigner) you may re-marry after 6 months after the official divorce date.
I don`t know if you inform the immigration about your status change but it is mandatory to do so.
Since you have, I assume a spouse visa, you can stay in Japan until the end of your current visa.
Once you got married again you have to inform immigration about you new status.

Immigration will decide about giving you a new visa status.

Good luck
by justmyday (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Has still 2 years visa and want to re-marry. 2017/9/7 12:02
Since you have, I assume a spouse visa, you can stay in Japan until the end of your current visa.

Unless it is revoked, which is possible in this case (but for spouse status the "grace period" is six months rather than three).

http://www.japaneselawtranslation.go.jp/law/detail_main?re=&vm=&id=264...
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Has still 2 years visa and want to re-marry. 2017/9/7 13:29
https://news.google.com/news/headlines?hl=ja&ned=jp
https://ameblo.jp/yokotahoumu/entry-11523158197.html

you have to inform your divorce to immigration within 2 weeks after the divorce date.
you can have 6 months grace period (your spouse visa is 100 % valid for 6 months)
you have to take a necessary legal procedure for yourself.
otherwise, when you get re-married and inform your marriage to immigration to get a new spouse visa(residential status), you will have a serious problem (probably your new visa will be denied).

再婚する際や他のビザに変更する際に、前回の離婚の事実が判明するリスク。
その事実が判明するのは、大抵離婚・別居から6ヶ月以上経過している場合が普通ですので、ビザの更新・変更は不許可になり、今持っているビザも取消対象になり、事情によってはすぐに取消されてしまうでしょう。

also, you can't work if your visa (residential status) become invalid.
when you work in Japan, you have to show your "my number" to the employer. they inform your work to tax office and city office. immigration can know your work (also, your stay and your current address) from that information.

of course, you may stay until the expiring date, if you don't want to stay in Japan any more. (no renewal of residential status.)
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Has still 2 years visa and want to re-marry. 2017/9/7 13:50
I reported at immigration right after my divorcement.. and they didn't revoked it to 6 months.. still 3 years, because of my current work and paying good in taxes.. and now i want to re-marry again so i can get my child from phil.. and my concern is, i need to report at immigration my new marriage record(which is required) but, is they gonna change my visa in a newly one, or i need to finished first my current visa and then apply again under the name of my new husband?
by Mayvi rate this post as useful

Re: Has still 2 years visa and want to re-marry. 2017/9/7 14:44
another point of discussion you may or can get with immigration is why marriage so fast.
I have rectify my commend about 6 months waiting. it seems that the law has been changed
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-06/women-gain-more-equality-in-japa...

another point which is mentioned about your stay is that indeed your visa will be revoked after 6 months

Even in the case where a foreign national staying in Japan with the status of residence of "Spouse or Child of Japanese National" (excluding a child of a Japanese national or a child adopted by a Japanese national) or "Spouse or Child of Permanent Resident" (excluding a child born as a child of a permanent resident in Japan) has failed to continue to engage in the activity as a spouse for six months or more, if he/she has a justifiable reason for staying in Japan without engaging in the said activity, he/she is not subject to the revocation of the status of residence.
http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/zairyuu/qa.html

It would be wish to consult with the immigration if you did not get any legal documentation that you can stay longer.
by justmyday (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Has still 2 years visa and want to re-marry. 2017/9/7 22:24
another point which is mentioned about your stay is that indeed your visa will be revoked after 6 months

Your link says "may revoke", NOT "will revoke". Big Difference!

She reported the divorce to immigration. If she had to leave in 6 months, don't you think they would've informed her?
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Has still 2 years visa and want to re-marry. 2017/9/7 22:31
I will re-marry next year.. not this year.. so it's not a big question why i'm in a hurry. Because my boyfriend now wants to get my child from philippines.. and it's not only for the visa,we can prove that.. if i'm just aftering a visa, i have still 2 years visa and enjoy it..

i'm just concern of what my visa will be.. if i need to finish the remaining visa.. or i need to apply a new one right after the marriage..

Re: Has still 2 years visa and want to re-marry. 2017/9/7 22:35
I have a proper job.. i'm a regular employee.. i'm a degree holder.. the purpose of this re-marriage is for my daughter.. and i love my fiancee.. don't judge me if you don't know everything.. just focus of what i'm asking and what is my concern..

Re: Has still 2 years visa and want to re-marry. 2017/9/7 22:56
"i'm a degree holder"
you can change to working status. that is the proper way to do.

I think you still misunderstand the laws. I highly advise you to consult an immigration lawyer.

"be revoked" or "not be revoked" : you will not be revoked until the expiring date, because they are busy. but, your visa renewal will be denied, if you don't take proper paperwork now.
"working" and "paying tax" are necessary conditions for a proper visa holder. but, you already divorced, the divorced person can't hold "spouse" status.

Re: Has still 2 years visa and want to re-marry. 2017/9/7 23:03
I'm working properly and paying taxes.. having a husband is the best way to get my daughter.. anyway , thank you for the answers! 😃

Re: Has still 2 years visa and want to re-marry. 2017/9/8 00:03
From http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/zairyuu/qa.html

Q18: I heard that even in the case where a foreign national got married with a Japanese national and has been staying in Japan with the status of residence of "Spouse or Child of Japanese National," but has failed to continue to engage in the activity as a spouse for six months or more after having got divorced from the Japanese national, if he/she has a justifiable reason, his/her status of residence shall not be revoked. Is that true?

Even in the case where a foreign national staying in Japan with the status of residence of "Spouse or Child of Japanese National" (excluding a child of a Japanese national or a child adopted by a Japanese national) or "Spouse or Child of Permanent Resident" (excluding a child born as a child of a permanent resident in Japan) has failed to continue to engage in the activity as a spouse for six months or more, if he/she has a justifiable reason for staying in Japan without engaging in the said activity, he/she is not subject to the revocation of the status of residence.

Whether a foreign national has a justifiable reason shall be determined specifically on a case-by-case basis. For example, a foreign national may be deemed to have a justifiable reason in the following cases and he/she may not be subject to the revocation of the status of residence:

The case where a foreign national temporarily needs to evacuate or to be protected on the ground of violence from his/her spouse (so-called domestic violence)
The case where a foreign national lives apart from his/her spouse due to an unavoidable reason, such as the need of child rearing, but share the same means of livelihood
The case where a foreign national has been out of Japan over a long period with a re-entry permit (including a Special Re-entry Permit) due to a disease, etc. of his/her relative in his/her home country
The case where a foreign national has been under mediation of a divorce or divorce action

I don't think they consider "working and paying taxes" a justifiable reason. Sure, you may not be deported in two months, but things may take a bad turn when you want to get a new spouse visa with your future husband.

I definitely recommend getting the work visa, which shouldn't be a problem seeing how you have a degree (I assume you mean bachelor's at least). Apply for a change of status. You can change back once you marry.

Alternatively go back to the Philippines and get the spouse visa once you are married again, but in that case you should leave within 2 months.

As for your daughter, you can bring her over both on a spouse and work visa. But if she's your ex-husband's daughter she's also Japanese and doesn't need a visa.
by 88Tim rate this post as useful

Re: Has still 2 years visa and want to re-marry. 2017/9/8 20:15
when you work in Japan, you have to show your "my number" to the employer.

Given how few people have a "my number" card, that doesn't actually apply. My "card" expired and my local city office wasn't very interested in getting it renewed - I never used it and they didn't care.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Has still 2 years visa and want to re-marry. 2017/9/8 20:52
@JapanCustomTours
if you are a resident, you have "my number". it was informed by post mail as マイナンバー通知書.
that number is necessary from this year's tax return filing (filing of 2016 income).
you don't need to exchange マイナンバー通知書 to マイナンバーカード,my number CARD.

Re: Has still 2 years visa and want to re-marry. 2017/9/9 08:01
This is off topic, but that is not correct. I am resident, done all my tax filings, and it is not mandatory.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Has still 2 years visa and want to re-marry. 2017/9/10 18:46
"justifiable reason"

Of course they mean work (amongst other things)

At the OP why aren't you just asking the institution responsible for Visa about your question?

As you can see you will not get a serious answer here, people interpreting the law without really understanding it here will not help you in any way.

Ask the responsibility Institute about your query and not a random internet forum where literally everyone can post.

Good luck!
by "I'm an expert" (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Has still 2 years visa and want to re-marry. 2017/9/10 23:09
Then why not list it, since it's the most obvious thing most people would run in to.

But you and I are both guessing; I agree it's best to ask the authorities and possibly an immigration lawyer.
by 88Tim rate this post as useful

reply to this thread