Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Doubt about light-up S-go (avoid crowds) 2017/9/12 02:06
Hi guys,

We will be in Japan for 20 days in late January/February (until 17th). Our itinerary is fully planned. Wefll stay seven days in Tokyo; then six days in Kyoto (including two days for Hiroshima-Mijayima and Himeji-Osaka), followed by three days for Alps (Takayama, Shirakawago, Kanazawa) and the last 4 for Tokyo (3 for Disney Sea and Disneyland).

Well, the gproblemh is:

According to our itinerary, the dates in the Alps will be:

11th Feb: Kyoto to Takayama (early morning). Sightseeing Takayama
12th Feb: Takayama to Kanazawa. Day/Sightseeing Shirakawago.
13th Feb: Kanazawa. Night: Shinkansen to Tokyo.

This is OK, but we have now known that the 12th Feb will be a light-Up event night (and holiday also). I think this could be a problem, but I see no way to move our itinerary (we do not want to put Kyoto last, and we have all the hotel reservations).

We will try to book bus for the trip Takayama-Shirakawago and Shirakawago-Kanazawa (Nohi bus), and we will not stay to see the illumination (to avoid the crowds).

Itfs OK?

It will be very bad to see Shirakawago that day? (by the crowds)

Any advice you can give us?

Best,
Ariel
by ArielMouls  

Re: Doubt about light-up S-go (avoid crowds) 2017/9/12 11:28

will not stay to see the illumination (to avoid the crowds).

The illumination is part of the "magic" of Shirakawago in winter.
You have flown half way around the world, this could be a "life time experience", yet you would skip the event due to "crowd"? A regret you might not want to experience.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Doubt about light-up S-go (avoid crowds) 2017/9/12 21:55
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I understand. But I have fear cannot easily get tickets to Kanazawa. The crowds are not in themselves a problem for us.

Also my doubts are basically if the experience really worth it because, as I read, it's difficult to get access to the viewpoints, the roads are closed for pedestrian (http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5956.html) and we need to get tickets for the shuttle-bus because are the only way to access Shiroyama Viewpointc It seems to be a bit complicated, and that is why I ask.

Thanks again!
by ArielMouls rate this post as useful

Re: Doubt about light-up S-go (avoid crowds) 2017/9/12 22:06

need to get tickets for the shuttle-bus because are the only way to access Shiroyama Viewpointc

You could walk, I did.

Re: Doubt about light-up S-go (avoid crowds) 2017/9/12 23:41
Ok, the page of japan-guide about the event says that is closed and the shuttle is the only way, but if you walk... So we need only get the ticket bus to Kanazawa near 19hs.

Re: Doubt about light-up S-go (avoid crowds) 2017/9/13 02:02
And sorry, one more help:

In case I decide to stay for rhe illumination event... I can't find a bus service that connects S-go with Kanazawa late-night.

https://www.nouhibus.co.jp/english/highwaybus/shirakawago.pdf

Last service, according with this info, departs S-go 5.30pm, time at which the light-up starts...

Any idea?

Thanks!

Re: Doubt about light-up S-go (avoid crowds) 2017/9/13 10:22
The special seasonal buses that run specially during the illumination events are called "light-up buses," I discovered. The schedules will be announced in early November:

http://lightup.asia/public/#d05

These buses are designed for the evening viewing so you would be leaving after seeing the illumination. There are multiple companies that offer them (Nohi, Kaetsuno Bus, Gifu Bus), but as far as I can tell Nohi is the only one that advertises them in English. You can see the previous year's website here:

https://www.nouhibus.co.jp/sale-shirakawago-illumination2017-en/

However, Nohi only starts selling tickets one month before the event, so you will need to call them in early January to book. However, if you can get a ticket, I think that this would be quite a special experience for your family! If you are worried, you could book a regular ticket leaving Shirakawa-go earlier in the day; since you are booking quite early I doubt you will have a problem getting seats for daytime buses, since the evening illumination is the main draw in that season. Just be prepared for traffic delays.
by Gigi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Doubt about light-up S-go (avoid crowds) 2017/9/13 10:54

11th Feb: Kyoto to Takayama (early morning). Sightseeing Takayama
12th Feb: Takayama to Kanazawa. Day/Sightseeing Shirakawago.

we have all the hotel reservations

You would probably be better off taking the Shirakawa-go Illumination Bus Tour on the 11th, and do the Takayama - Kanazawa on the 12th.

Re: Doubt about light-up S-go (avoid crowds) 2017/9/13 11:02
Thanks both,

Last option is not possible, I think. We'll arrive to Takayama on 11th near 11am, and according to the light-up calendar the day is only the 12th, not 11. Sorry if I'm wrong.

Re: Doubt about light-up S-go (avoid crowds) 2017/9/13 11:57

Last option is not possible
Sorry, you are correct, the illumination date is 12th.

Re: Doubt about light-up S-go (avoid crowds) 2017/9/30 22:09
Hi All,

Thanks for the conversation above - it helped me to get a sense of how crowded and anticipated this event is.

However, I don't see any bus route / schedule of Kanazawa-Shirakawago during winter light-up (learning from last year schedule, here: https://www.nouhibus.co.jp/sale-shirakawago-illumination2017-en/ ). It's going to be really helpful if anyone confirm if this is correct or not.

Because in the plan, we would like to go from Osaka - Kanazawa - Shirakawa - Kanazawa.
Thank you!
by yosefsid rate this post as useful

Re: Doubt about light-up S-go (avoid crowds) 2017/10/3 15:43
Yes, you're right; unfortunately the latest bus for Kanazawa will be the normal 17:30 one, the same as usual. It seems that "light-up buses" are only offered from Takaoka and Takayama.
by Gigi (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread