Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Long Term Tourist Visa w Proof of Finances 2017/9/19 02:43
Hi all, I keep reading about a long term (6-12 month) visitors/tourist visa option for my spouse and I if we can prove 30million yen in savings. I just called our regional consulate in LA and they told me that they could not issue us a long term tourist/sight seeing visa unless my spouse and I BOTH showed individual savings of 30 million yen (60 million total). Has something changed or are they misinformed? Any suggestions? Thanks
by Chaz (guest)  

Re: Long Term Tourist Visa w Proof of Finances 2017/9/19 12:17
It seems obvious to me that the figure of 30 million yen should be per person; otherwise why not apply for visas for 10 people with just one savings account with 30M in it?
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Long Term Tourist Visa w Proof of Finances 2017/9/19 15:06
@Firas: please do us and the OP a favor and reply only in your categorical fashion when you are 100% sure about your answer.

OP, please check out this page from the Japanese foreign ministry: http://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page22e_000738.html

I read it that you and your spouse (assuming you are both from visa waiver countries) do need 30 million Yen TOGETHER if you travel/stay TOGETHER. But you need 60 million yen if you go separately.

I'd suggest you review the conditions described above and then get in touch with the embassy again.

Enjoy your stay in Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Long Term Tourist Visa w Proof of Finances 2017/9/19 15:30
Not sure what's categorical about "it seems to me". If anything, it makes it clear that no, I have not expended any effort looking this up. I am not interested in rich people's issues.

Also, I do not owe you or OP any favors, though this should go without saying.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Long Term Tourist Visa w Proof of Finances 2017/9/19 16:56
what is the point of reacting than if you are not interested
by justmyday (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Long Term Tourist Visa w Proof of Finances 2017/9/19 19:56
Thanks all, the link that LikeBike shared was from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs page. This was the most official/reputable info I was able to find as well and they should be the authority in japan on this issue. I referenced this web page and what it clearly states (myself and spouse included) to the head visa guy at the LA consulate and he wouldn't acknowledge it, repeating that each individual needed 30 million yen
by Chaz (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Long Term Tourist Visa w Proof of Finances 2017/9/19 21:15
Visa are issued to a person, not to a group.

I read the requirement as 30M per visa, per person.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Long Term Tourist Visa w Proof of Finances 2017/9/19 21:39
Individual at the age of 18 years or older and has savings equivalent to more than 30 million Japanese yen owned by you and your spouse

If the individual and spouse are travelling together, then 30M is what it mentions.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Long Term Tourist Visa w Proof of Finances 2017/9/20 00:12
It seems obvious to me that the figure of 30 million yen should be per person; otherwise why not apply for visas for 10 people with just one savings account with 30M in it?

It seems obvious to me that a married couple or family is not the same as a random group of 10. Couples and families typically share finances, expenses and living arrangements.
by Me2 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Long Term Tourist Visa w Proof of Finances 2017/9/20 00:52
They probably said 60mil yen because it's if you both want the same visa. 30mil is only nesecary if one has the main visa and the partner has the accompanying visa.

So from my understanding it's a bit like if someone has a work visa and they bring their spouse over and they get a dependent visa.
by ...".. (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread