Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Debt in Japan. Will it affect me? 2017/9/19 20:54
Firstly, I feel awful about my debt in Japan. I'm not certain if I do have one, but I more than likely do. I know it was very irresponsible. Please helpful answers only as this is my first post here!

I went to Japan for nearly a year, last year, and went to a language school in Tokyo. I eventually got really ill (a severe lung/respiratory infection that started to show myelocytes). I had to get an MRI and I'm still battling some symptoms today. Because of my sickness I ended up skipping a couple of months of school straight and also left Tokyo early. The teachers didn't really believe that I was sick since so many students go to those language schools just to get a VISA and end up never showing up.

If I'm correct I should have a couple of hydro and electricity bills, and perhaps a phone bill or two. It's been impossible to cancel my phone bill so I had to disable the credit card I used. The bills for my electricity and etc, I'm not sure how to pay for them.

I just want to pay for my bills! Is there anyone I can contact because I can't really speak Japanese.

Also, if I don't end up having a way to pay for my bills, will this prevent me from getting a job or working holiday VISA there? I want to go back!

I feel really crappy about it all and I wish I could just pay my bills. I also don't know if me skipping school will affect me joining a school in Japan again.
by NaomiR  

Re: Debt in Japan. Will it affect me? 2017/9/20 20:55
You can't speak Japanese but you managed to get a phone set up in Japan as well as a room with water and electricity. Maybe you should talk to the person you rented your room from about these bills. As for the phone, how did you set it up initially? Did someone help you? Talk to that person.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Debt in Japan. Will it affect me? 2017/9/21 01:50
I've already canceled the phone by cancelling the card that was used. My mum has a friend in Japan who helped me but I don't want to ask him for help as he's done a lot for me. Bills in Japan are not connected to the apartment you live in. You pay them at your local konbini. My apartment was aimed at foreigners so that's how it was set-up.
by NaomiR rate this post as useful

Re: Debt in Japan. Will it affect me? 2017/9/21 03:20
Yes, that's why I think talking to your former landlord or some other middle man who speaks English is a good idea. It doesn't have to be the landlord, but without knowing about your friend in Japan it seemed a good place to start. It's that or your former school I guess. Maybe you don't want to ask for help but without being able to use Japanese well enough to sort this out by yourself it may be your only option.

Note that cancelling your credit card and cancelling telephone service are two different things. You haven't cancelled your phone, you just stopped paying for it. You need to take care of this properly as well.

Good luck. Debt sucks
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Debt in Japan. Will it affect me? 2017/9/21 09:34
I've already canceled the phone by cancelling the card that was used.

You are certainly on the credit blacklist by this.
It will affect when you rent a room in Japan as they refer to your credit history beforehand.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Debt in Japan. Will it affect me? 2017/9/21 09:40
Things work like this:
When the phone company charges on your credit card, your debt already exists.
When they know your card is useless, they change your payment to Furikomi, payment by cash. The bill must be sent to your address.
If you leave it unpaid for months, the company send "not paid" data to the credit data institution which is not your credit card company.
All the bank, landlord, credit card companies will refer to this data in future and you are recognized as a person on the blacklist.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Debt in Japan. Will it affect me? 2017/9/21 10:17
It will NOT effect you ONLY but this is why for foreigners it is hard time to get some credit.
But yes it will defiantly effect you.

I know health is important but I believe the way you handled is not the correct way.
by justmyday (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Debt in Japan. Will it affect me? 2017/9/25 06:09
I dont beleive your credit will affect your standing with immigration.

Probably the best thing to do is ask that Japanese friend.

If youre determined to do it in your own with only English, then call or email all the relevant organizations in English and hope they can deal with you.

Im not sure what other options you have.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread