Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hakone versus 5 Lakes (day trip) 2017/9/23 23:30
I found this thread, but the site told me off for replying as it's old: http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+134517

So, which of Hakone or 5 Lakes would people recommend for a daytrip from Tokyo? Primarily to see Fuji (I realise this is weather dependent), but also to get out of the city and see something different.

We are a couple with JR passes (I know both options involve extra cost for travel), will be staying near Tokyo Station, and will be seeing a fair few other places in Japan while we are there, including Kyoto and Miyajima, so we're not desperate for 'traditional' stuff as we'll see it elsewhere.

So I guess - which do you prefer?

Any pointers appreciated, thanks.
by Marc (guest)  

Re: Hakone versus 5 Lakes (day trip) 2017/9/24 16:41
Fuji 5 Lakes is closer to the amount with better viewing options.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone versus 5 Lakes (day trip) 2017/9/25 01:24
Personally, I would first see if you see Mt. Fuji when you take the shinkansen back and forth to Kyoto (assuming you're using the Tokkaido line and not taking the longer route via Kanazawa and then Limited Express. ) or see if you end up seeing Mt. Fuji from Tokyo.

Why travel to either destination just to see Mt. Fuji if you've already seen it from the train or rising over Tokyo? I would then get out of the city and go someplace else. With a valid rail pass there are a lot of options.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone versus 5 Lakes (day trip) 2017/9/26 00:17
Thanks for the responses. We will see how we go for a couple of days, then decide whether to head out or not.
by Marc (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread