Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Moving to Kyoto and need cardiologist 2017/9/29 02:47
Hi.
I am going to be moving to Kyoto vicinity next summer and trying to do research on local doctors. I am finding English speaking doctors lists from US Embassy, but I am not having luck with finding a cardiologist in the area. Wondering if someone has a good recommendation.
Thank you!
by Steven (guest)  

Re: Moving to Kyoto and need cardiologist 2017/9/29 10:46
I think cardiologists are only found in hospitals; first go to a neighbourhood “à‰È clinic to get a referral letter. Your city/ward office may be able to assist in finding English-speaking doctors.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Kyoto and need cardiologist 2017/9/29 18:00
Hello steven You have a cardio problem if you have then you should bring all your previous test with you self but its really very hard to get a doctor who can speak and understand english....and one thing more don't go to the small clinics because they don't have enough equipment let suppose if u need some tests they will send u to big hospitals... in my case i go to small clinic where they monitor my heart for 24 hours and then do an echo show no problem i have heaviness in my chest i request for ct angiography and the doctor say we dont have in our clinic so on my request he reffer me to big hospital----ist bring all of ur previous tests with you self it will help u r doctor to know what is the problem and what kind of treatment u need........if u bring refferal paper with ur self it will b more good for u bcoz u can save 5000+ yen in new hospital they will make for u a card if doctor reffer u its free-----and search for big hospital hope it helps
by Hyder (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Kyoto and need cardiologist 2017/9/30 08:24
Thank you for the assistance.
So at the base level, cardiologists are in clinics and hospitals, but the equipment is in the hospitals. And also a referral will be needed to use the hospital unless I pay additional 5000‰~? So I should call the hospitals to try to find a cardiologist and have my medical files ready. Did I get that correct?
by Steven (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Kyoto and need cardiologist 2017/9/30 12:18
Probably the best strategy for you is to find (e.g. With the list of the embassy you mentioned) an English speaking GP. Ideally one that is geared towards foreigners mainly. He/she will very likely be able to refer you to an English speaking cardiologist. Which also means that you don't need to search nor pay the 5000 Yen.

I would in any case bring along your medical records. But I frankly would do that even if you relocate within your own county. Just to make sure that your new doctor has access to your medical history.

Also, you mentioned Kyoto. I guess you know that Osaka is not far away. So if there is a hospital for foreigners in Osaka that would be good too. (E.g. In Tokyo there is St Luke's) there might be something similar in Osaka.

Last but not least , some hospitals also offer interpreters. Not ideal, I know, but a possibility.

Your English speaking GP will know.

Enjoy your life in Japan!

by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Kyoto and need cardiologist 2017/10/2 17:46
As some other posters have pointed out, you will probably have more options in English if you go to Osaka. It's a short train ride from Kyoto (unless you're living in a really rural area of Kyoto prefecture, and not the city?) Here is a list of places you could look at:

https://www.alljapanrelocation.com/living-guide/osaka/hospitals/

If you walk in without a referral to a large hospital there will generally be a one-time fee of 5000 yen or so, but this is intended to discourage casual patients with minor illnesses. In your case, since you are moving from overseas and already know that you will need a cardiologist, I think there is a good chance you could get some hospitals to waive the fee. It would be a bit of a runaround to find a GP first and then have them direct you to a larger hospital.

Wishing you the best of luck! I am sure you will be able to find a good physician.
by Gigi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Kyoto and need cardiologist 2017/10/2 17:49
Also, I forgot to mention, you could try contacting the AMDA International Medical Information Center as well: http://eng.amda-imic.com/

Re: Moving to Kyoto and need cardiologist 2017/10/2 19:13
In your case, since you are moving from overseas and already know that you will need a cardiologist, I think there is a good chance you could get some hospitals to waive the fee.

Yeah, tell them that and see what they say, you'll get a nice reality check. Hospitals are not tourist facilities.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Kyoto and need cardiologist 2017/10/3 04:20
Thank you all for your insights. My family has also considered the Osaka angle for doctors and would likely be better chances of getting what I need.
by Steven (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Kyoto and need cardiologist 2017/10/3 15:18
Firas, you usually give such helpful advice. I have been to hospitals before that specifically mentioned waiving the initial walk-in fee in certain reasonable circumstances.

reply to this thread