Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Going to Arashimaya area with old folks 2017/10/2 10:32
I am going from Kyoto Station to Saga-Arashimaya station using JR Sagano Line. Then from Torokko Saga Station take the Scenic Train to Torokko Kameoka Station. Does the stations have escalator or elevator from the train platforms to street level?

From there how do I walk to the bamboo grove and also Togetsukyo Bridge? Is it too big an area to cover? Need to know cause there are a few old folks in our group that cant walk well.

Thank you in advance
by idoblu  

Re: Going to Arashimaya area with old folks 2017/10/2 21:40
sorry should be Arashiyama
by idoblu rate this post as useful

Re: Going to Arashimaya area with old folks 2017/10/2 22:03
There are definitely escalators at Saga Arashiyama station and I think elevators too. It was rebuilt and modernized around 10 years ago?

I think of the walk to Togetsuyo as easy? My daughter did it when she was 5 without any issue, it's about 1 km and going to the bridge is either a gentle downhill or flat. I don't remember the bamboo grove being any more challenging to reach.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Going to Arashimaya area with old folks 2017/10/3 01:17
Sections of the bamboo grove is hilly. I don't know how strong their legs are, but if you have doubts you can hire a rickshaw (there are always few standing by near the train station).
by Miyako (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Going to Arashimaya area with old folks 2017/10/3 07:42
Only the back 25% section of the Bamboo Grove is hilly, so oldies should have no issue walking most of it. The rest is only slight inclines/declines.

The walk from Saga-Arashiyama to the bridge is around 15 minutes of a able bodied person. If with oldies with walking issues. I would recommend getting a bus. Majority of Arashiyama is flat. but if you walk around around everywhere. You'll most likely clock up 2.5-3.0km. So anything to remove some of that walking should help.

Just use google maps and check the distances, should help out.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Going to Arashimaya area with old folks 2017/10/3 15:27
If you need elevator/escalator (both are at Saga-Arashiyama) then that implies people can't manage stairs. Therefore, the 15 minutes easy walk to bamboo or bridge will be double that. Depending on your route, there are also steps and hills that most people would consider modest, but maybe not for your case. There are taxis.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread