Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tottori with JR Kansai Wide Area Pass 2017/10/3 06:04
I'm going from Kansai Airport to Osaka then the next day onwards to Kinsoaki Onsen for 2 nights.
I was considering visiting Tottori on the way back to Osaka and will have a JR Kansai Wide Area Pass.

However, it's not clear if it's included, the calculators say it isn't but if I look here :
https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/pass/kansai_wide/
It seems to be included.

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks in advance
by Denis C  

Re: Tottori with JR Kansai Wide Area Pass 2017/10/3 07:12
Not sure what you mean when referring to calculators. Yes Tottori is included in the JR Kansai "WIDE" Area Pass. Don't confused it with the JR Kansai Area Pass.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tottori with JR Kansai Wide Area Pass 2017/10/3 07:41
by Denis C rate this post as useful

Re: Tottori with JR Kansai Wide Area Pass 2017/10/3 08:57
Those sites are for the Japan Rail Pass, not the Kansai Wide Area Pass.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Tottori with JR Kansai Wide Area Pass 2017/10/3 15:20
It will be completely covered by the pass if you go back to Osaka via Kinosaki, which will take longer than riding the Super Hakuto directly from Tottori to Osaka. If you take the Super Hakuto there will be a supplemental fee of around 3000-some yen.
by Gigi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tottori with JR Kansai Wide Area Pass 2017/10/3 17:04
The fastest way to travel by rail from Tottori Station to Osaka and Kyoto Stations is to take a Limited Express Super Hakuto.

If you take the Super Hakuto there will be a supplemental fee of around 3000-some yen.

The additional fee is not that high, but 1720 yen (#) per adult paid for the section of Chizu Express, which is not covered by the JR-West Kansai WIDE Area Pass, to have a ride without seat reservation.

#: 1300 yen as a basic fare + 420 yen as a Limited Express surcharge.

A Super Hakuto train goes roughly southward from Tottori Station, runs through the section of Chizu Express (Chizu -- Kamigori) and reaches Himeji Station; then it proceeds eastward to Kyoto Station.

Osaka then the next day onwards to Kinsoaki Onsen for 2 nights.
visiting Tottori on the way back to Osaka

Here "Kinsoaki" refers to Kinosaki.

Is Tottori Station really close to your destinations?
("Tottori " may refer to Tottori City or Tottori Prefecture.)

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Tottori with JR Kansai Wide Area Pass 2017/10/3 17:06
Those sites are for the Japan Rail Pass, not the Kansai Wide Area Pass.

Those calculators do take the Kansai WIDE Area Pass into account.
However, they seem to be ignoring some rules for JR fees.
(Actually the amount of JR fees added up by legs does not always show the total JR cost.)

Re: Tottori with JR Kansai Wide Area Pass 2017/10/3 17:12
Thanks for the help, the sand dunes aren't far from the station, I'm not sure if it's worth it, we could also visit Kobe or Himeji on the way back.

Re: Tottori with JR Kansai Wide Area Pass 2017/10/3 17:13
That is the additional fee if you have a JR national pass. But the Kansai Wide Pass does not cover any lines between Tottori and Kamigori, So the section between Tottori and Chizu also needs to be paid. 3670 yen by my checks...
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Tottori with JR Kansai Wide Area Pass 2017/10/3 17:27
Kobe and Himeji will require paying extra for a faster route to access it. Again creates same issue as going to Tottori.

Have you investigated Amanohashidate? It is on the free route back to Osaka/Kyoto.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Tottori with JR Kansai Wide Area Pass 2017/10/3 17:30
Right, the second one includes many passes besides the national one (certainly not "all" though), but is confusingly named "Japan Rail Pass Calculator"...
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Tottori with JR Kansai Wide Area Pass 2017/10/4 01:48
According to Hyperdia, if you tried to ride back without upgrading to the Super Hakuto, you are looking at 2-2.5 extra hours of travel.
by Me2 (guest) rate this post as useful

Correction and supplement 2017/10/4 21:54
Gigi and hakata14 each have correctly pointed it out!

Yes, there should be also
1650 to 2050 yen (varying by seasons) | 1330 yen
for the uncovered JR section (Tottori --Chizu),
to have a ride with | without seat reservation,
not only 1820 yen | 1720 yen for the Chizu Express section (Chizu --Kamigori).

The total amount of the additional fees to go until Kamigori is 3470 to 3870 yen | 3050 yen.

Beyond Kamigori until Himeji, when you donft reserve a seat, a JR-West Kansai WIDE Area Pass lets you take a Super Hakuto train.

When you reserve your seat, this pass is valid only for the basic fare, and you should pay 1070 to 1470 yen as the Limited Express surcharge to get to Himeji Station.

Re: Tottori with JR Kansai Wide Area Pass 2017/10/4 22:00
Thanks everyone, I'm going to skip Tottori.
However, we could go to Himeji on the LTD. EXP HAMAKAZE 2, visit the castle for a few hours and then visit Kurashiki via Okayama (SHINKANSEN KODAMA 741 and JR Hakubi Line) in the afternoon before returning to Osaka in the early evening via Okayama and using the SHINKANSEN SAKURA.

It seems like a more sensible use of the train back to Osaka to enjoy more sightseeing.

Am I missing anything?

reply to this thread