Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Night train Tokyo-Matsue, ticket chances May 2017/10/5 03:08
Hi there,
I wish to hike the mt Daisen in May and as I arrive in Tokyo having a JR Pass, I see that the train would take more than 7 hours. There is a night train leaving around 22 I think arriving in Matsue by 10. But I am not sure about the chance of getting a ticket. I will not leave Tokyo directly by arrival but perhaps 1-2 weeks after.

I know you cant get tickets online. What are the chances of getting a ticket in May these days? Does not need to be a nobi-nobi seat (I heard these sell out fast), could be a simple compartment or so...
by Monstaa (guest)  

Re: Night train Tokyo-Matsue, ticket chances May 2017/10/5 17:46
The compartments are not fully covered by the JR Pass!
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Night train Tokyo-Matsue, ticket chances May 2017/10/5 17:48
Yes you are more likely to get a compartment compared to the nobi nobi bed/seats. As explained, the JR pass does no cover the full fare. So an additional sum will need to be paid.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Night train Tokyo-Matsue, ticket chances May 2017/10/6 02:31
@Firas,
I knew that, sorry I forgot to mention it.

But how hard is it getting a ticket in a 1-2 week notice in May?

Out of Golden Week maybe less travel but still many people from Asia.

It is still possible to fly to Matsue or take the train (I think I would arrive by 22 or midnight if leaving Tokyo by 15 or 17, or arriving Matsue by 13 if leaving Tokyo by 5 in the morning, but it would save a day of travel by doing the night train... Plus I like train travel in Japan.

Do you know how much the train compartment cost in extra?

I learned of two webpages (Sanin and Cyberstation) where you could see availability but maybe no good anymore?
by Monstaa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Night train Tokyo-Matsue, ticket chances May 2017/10/6 10:00
Do you know how much the train compartment cost in extra?

There are several types; the cheapest (ソロ) is 9,720 yen.

https://www.jr-odekake.net/train/sunriseseto_izumo/accommo.html
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Night train Tokyo-Matsue, ticket chances May 2017/10/6 11:51

But how hard is it getting a ticket in a 1-2 week notice in May?

Last year, I could be lucky, getting nobi nobi seat reservation 3 weeks in advance easily. My departure date was 22nd of May.
Upon boarding the train I noticed that the carpeted seat was so hard and uncomfortable. I then asked the train conductor if any sleeper bed was still available. Half an hour later I was given a single B room for an additional out of pocket of 10800 円.
by Shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread