Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shin-Aomori vs Aomori 2017/10/7 18:22
Dear friends,

We are planning to stay two nights either in Aomori or Shin-Aomori. During that stay we'd like to experience sakura viewing at Hirosaki Castle, a quick stop at Nebuta Warasse museum and perhaps the Jomon Jiyukan archaelogical site.

We will then take the scenic train from Aomori/Shin-Aomori to Akita on the third day to make our way to Kakunodate.

Questions:
1. Is it better to stay at Hirosaki, Aomori or Shin-Aomori for those two days?
2. Is Lake Tozawa worth visiting?
3. Any tips on visiting Hirosaki on a Sunday, 22 April during the sakura rush?
4. We will be visiting these three sakura places in this order: Kitakami (20 Apr), Hirosaki Castle (22) and Kakunodate (24 April). Is this order good, crazy or unpredictable?

Much appreciated,
Ronald
by hojo36  

Re: Shin-Aomori vs Aomori 2017/10/8 11:18
Sakura are not machines, not always in full bloom in that week.
Spring weather is not so flat.
See the blooming reports fr early APR.
Blooming front coming fr South,West lower to East, North and higher ground.

And,
NOT Lake "T(o)zawa", Lake "T(a)zawa" is.

by Marah (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shin-Aomori vs Aomori 2017/10/8 11:38

Kitakami (20 Apr), Hirosaki Castle (22) and Kakunodate (24 April). Is this order...

In 2016 we did "Sakura-hopping": 21 Apr visiting Kitakami as well as Morioka, then Kakunodate and Akita in one day before Hirosaki, later Fort Goryokaku in Hakodate. We did it in this sequence as we are heading for Hokkaido.
Unsure of your situation, IMO, if you are heading for Tokyo , Aomori, Hirosaki, Akita, Kakunodate and then Kitakami would be a good order. If you are heading for Aomori then the reverse order would be better.
Timing for sakura viewing is paramount, be sure you monitor the forecast closely.
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shin-Aomori vs Aomori 2017/10/8 12:50
"In Shin-Aomori" doesn't make sense; Shin-Aomori is a train station, not a city. It is located in the outskirts of Aomori city, about five minutes from the more centrally located Aomori station.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Shin-Aomori vs Aomori 2017/10/8 13:10
Between Aomori and Shin-aomori, definitely choose Aomori (that's where all the restaurants, hotels, museums, etc. are). Shin-aomori station area is new and it has not been developed, yet.
by Tsuruga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shin-Aomori vs Aomori 2017/10/8 13:13
But, the Shin-Aomori area does makes sense as a location - there are several attractions nearby, and you knew exactly where they were meaning. However, staying in one of the more waterfront/downtown areas of Aomori makes more sense for somewhere to stay and visiting. It also provides easy access to the Shin-Aomori rail transfers and to Hirosaki.

I've stayed in Aomori often, never bothered to stay in Hirosaki because it was close. If you are in the area and going to Kakunodate, is your plan just via the east coast shinkansen or the scenic Gono line around to Akita?
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Shin-Aomori vs Aomori 2017/10/8 21:26
2. Is Lake Tozawa worth visiting?

I have just made a bicycle ride around Lake Tazawa earlier today. It is definitely a nice area and you can relax after a day on the lake in one of the onsen up in Nyuto onsen.
Tazawa lake is also really close to Kakunodate (where I will be heading tomorrow) and I would say that I have seen some cherry trees also here on the lake today.

http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.jp/2017/10/day-17-once-around-tazaw...
http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.jp/2017/10/day-16-nyuto-onsen.html

So short answer to your question: Yes

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Shin-Aomori vs Aomori 2017/10/11 15:46
JapanCustomTours, we are planning to take Resort Shirakami scenic train from Aomori to Akita then train to Kakunodate. Thanks for the information.

LikeBike, thanks for the links to the blog posts. We tried booking at Tsurunoyu for next April but it's already fully booked. Sigh...

by hojo36 rate this post as useful

Re: Shin-Aomori vs Aomori 2017/10/12 09:12
My personal preference is to stay at the Richmond, not the closest hotel to Aomori station, but certainly not far away. Comfortable/cheap/reliable.

Last month I stayed in Aomori twice (to break up some travel) and thought the Jomon site was very interesting (and then we headed across the road to the art gallery). The bus timetable did not suit us very well, but the taxi wasn't too terrible given the distance. Also included a few other spots including the floating museum (ex-car/freight ferry), Nebuta museum and Hirosaki.

Even the Resort Shirakami trip at a bit over five hours does not feel too long, and it is worth doing. Get your train tickets in advance because both the Aomori and Akita station ticket offices are not particularly large (queues).

Re: Shin-Aomori vs Aomori 2017/10/12 15:33
Thank you CustomJapanTours,

We'll keep that in mind and will try to book the scenic train in advance. Would staying at Hirosaki a better choice, considering we are visiting Tohoku for the sakura season, and that would allow us to beat the tourist congestion, as opposed to staying and coming from Aomori?

And do you have a suggestion about the lack of escalator / lift in Aomori Station?

We are planning to see: the Jomon site and Nebuta Warasse in half a day as our scenic train departs Aomori at 1:51pm to Akita. So we're thinking of visiting Nebuta Warasse and the Jomon site in the morning. Will that be too rushed, do you think?

Re: Shin-Aomori vs Aomori 2017/10/13 08:06
Would staying at Hirosaki a better choice, considering we are visiting Tohoku for the sakura season
That is a bit of personal choice. I like visiting Hirosaki, but I stay in Aomori as there are places there I like to visit too, and that is our plan next April as well.

And do you have a suggestion about the lack of escalator / lift in Aomori Station?
There is an escalator normally set to run in "up" mode, and if you have too much luggage or cannot manage the stairs, the staff can (and do) reverse the direction for people.

So we're thinking of visiting Nebuta Warasse and the Jomon site in the morning. Will that be too rushed, do you think?
Just watch your time and start early. Maybe the Jomon site first so you will be at Aomori station for the 1:15 departure - the Nebuta museum is basically across the street.

Re: Shin-Aomori vs Aomori 2017/10/13 18:11
Thank you, these are helpful suggestions, JapanCustomTours.

I hope you have a lovely time there in April as well.

reply to this thread