Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo hotel - Shibuya or Ikebukuro? 2017/10/10 08:21
I'm visiting Tokyo in January with my ten-year-old daughter and (still!) having trouble deciding on a hotel. I'm trying to choose between the Shibuya Tokyu REI Hotel and a hotel in Ikebukuro - the Sunshine City Prince, the b hotel, or maybe the Metropolitan (although that's at the upper limits of my budget).

We're planning to spend time in both Shibuya and Ikebukuro, as well as visiting Shinjuku, the Ghibli Museum and Asakusa.

The websites I've looked at tend to favour Shibuya, but since we're going to visit Sunshine City it would be handy to be so close, and Ikebukuro seems to have good shopping as well and looks like a good place for anime fan like my daughter. Where would you recommend staying?
by Anna (guest)  

Re: Tokyo hotel - Shibuya or Ikebukuro? 2017/10/10 11:59
I can't answe your question, but regarding Ghibli get your tickets 3 months before as soon as possible. See Ghibli web information for details. Tickets sell out very quickly, within hours, that the sale opens, so be prepared. I think with January you are now still in good time.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo hotel - Shibuya or Ikebukuro? 2017/10/10 12:06
Thanks for the Ghibli heads up! I'd heard you need to get in early, so I bought tickets through JTB Australia last week.
by Anna (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo hotel - Shibuya or Ikebukuro? 2017/10/10 12:24
I've not stayed at Ikebukuro though I've been through it. If shopping is your life and you'd like nothing better than to stay in a big shopping centre, then that would be the place to go. Personally I found it not particularly interesting and I was happy to leave, though my teenaged daughters were quite happy to spend time there.

Shibuya is a more interesting area, though, IMO, and even though the main focus is still shopping, there are some things that can be done which wont cost hundreds of dollars an hour.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo hotel - Shibuya or Ikebukuro? 2017/10/10 14:58
Either would be fine, they are not far apart on the Yamanote line. Although I will admit I would probably err towards Shibuya myself. Ikebukuro is as others have said more of a shopping destination. Wherever you stay I would suggest that you visit Nakano Broadway which is full of secondhand anime & manga stores https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3069.html Your daughter will love it.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo hotel - Shibuya or Ikebukuro? 2017/10/10 16:58
I think there's still a Sanrio store between Ikebuko Station and the Sunshine City complex.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo hotel - Shibuya or Ikebukuro? 2017/10/10 17:44
There still is, I saw it two week ago. There is also one in the Suncity complex down the lower levels near the Disney and McDonalds.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo hotel - Shibuya or Ikebukuro? 2017/10/10 17:54
I will second Stans suggestion of Nakano Boardway. Was the two week ago. As he suggested, lots of anime shops. Comics, books, figures etc in various shops.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo hotel - Shibuya or Ikebukuro? 2017/10/10 18:56
Regarding Ghibli tickets, JTB isn't also the best option due to the markup. You can buy them earlier, but they charge higher prices. Tickets are available through Lawson online (website link on official Ghibli website) on the tenth of the month you want to visit for the flat price. Again, they do sell out quickly, but as long as you are prepared to log on as soon as they go on sale it can be the cheaper option!
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo hotel - Shibuya or Ikebukuro? 2017/10/10 20:46
Ah, the Sanrio shop in Ikebukuro. Still the pinkest place I have ever been :)
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo hotel - Shibuya or Ikebukuro? 2017/10/10 23:04
I used to live in bicycle distance from Shibuya when I was commuting to Ikebukuro, and I still visit both areas.

Ikebukuro is a very vast and busy place, even compared to Shibuya. Sunshine City itself is far enough from the station, and once in the station, it's quite a journey to walk between the East side and the West side or even to the platforms through the 24/7 crowd.

So while Sunshine City Prince is not a bad hotel at all, if you're thinking of staying there just because it's accessible, well, I'm afraid it's not, unless making frequent visits to Sunshine City is your main intention of your trip to Tokyo.

The Metropolitan itself is closer to places like the university and Marui which you may enjoy, but like I mentioned it's very far from Sunshine.

Among the three hotels you mentioned, Shibuya Tokyu REI is indeed the most convenient location-wise, and located closer to places where low-teens prefer (anime fans like to go to Shibuya too, if they live in the southern part of Tokyo).

Also, while the department stores in Ikebukuro are huge, they are often too huge to fully enjoy. You tend to just get stressed at the end of the day. Meanwhile, foreign teens who love fashion tend to visit the Shibuya/Harajuku/Shimokitazawa course, which of course are all more accessible from Shibuya than Ikebukuro (although Ikebukuro is not that far either).

But I'm not that detailed on anime. Maybe you have more places in mind that you'd want to visit in Ikebukuro. Either way, consider Sunshine to be a whole different area.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo hotel - Shibuya or Ikebukuro? 2017/10/11 13:12
Thanks everybody!

Sounds like it might be best to stay in Shibuya but add a few more places to my list of places to visit in Ikebukuro!

I was also looking at Shinjuku, but the hotels in my price range all seem to either be in Kabukicho (where I'd prefer to avoid staying) or a long way from the station.
by Anna (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo hotel - Shibuya or Ikebukuro? 2017/10/11 13:50
Have a look at the Dormy Inn Premium at Shibuya - it is mid way between Shibuya and Harajuku. It is very reasonably priced and well appointed, and in a good position. We have stayed there a few times for up to a week at a time.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread