Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Driving insurance 2017/10/10 20:10
Next year I will be off to Japan to study for a year, and I wanted to know whether it'd be possible for me to use my UK full drivers license or if I would have to take a Japanese driving test as well.

Following from this, if i am able to use my license, what are the insurance policies like? My grandparents there already own a car with insurance on it, but would I need to personally insure myself on the car too?

I know I could easily google the answers but I just wanted some quick opinions on it before I decide whether to look into it more, so thank you for any replies!
by Reiku (guest)  

Re: Driving insurance 2017/10/11 18:04
If you're only going for a year, you can use an International Driving Permit (available from the Post Office for about a fiver) but you won't be able to drive using your normal UK licence.

Insurance on your grandparents' car will depend on the type of policy they have; you need to check with them whether you'd be covered to drive it.
by Menkyu Sho (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Driving insurance 2017/10/11 18:13
Just to clarify, you can't drive with only your UK license, but you can't drive with only your IDP either. You need both, so don't leave the UK one at home before leaving.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Driving insurance 2017/10/11 22:28
Just to clarify, you can't drive with only your UK license, but you can't drive with only your IDP either. You need both, so don't leave the UK one at home before leaving.

Not true. You can drive with only a valid IDP. Source: Have driven in Japan many times with an IDP and never been asked to show UK licence when hiring cars or when visiting a police station to pay a parking fine.
by Hmmm (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Driving insurance 2017/10/12 07:17
Irrespective of your actual experience, Firas is technically correct. You've been breaking the law, if you didn't have both Hmmm
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: Driving insurance 2017/10/12 08:50
Both driving licence and IDP are needed including insurance to drive in Japan.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/japan/safety-and-security
by justmyday (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Driving insurance 2017/10/12 12:34
It's also very easy to "convert" your UK license to a Japanese one (although the process is commonly called conversion, you don't have to give up your original UK license to do this; they issue you a Japanese one based on it.) This will make things much easier than an IDP for insurance purposes (and, knock on wood, if you ever get a ticket or something.)

https://blog.ryanstenhouse.jp/swapping-your-uk-driving-license-for-a-j...

Your grandparents' insurance probably covers you as long as you're driving their vehicle, but some policies only cover one specific driver so double-check with them just to be safe. Of course, if you'll be buying your own car, you need separate insurance.
by Gigi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Driving insurance 2017/10/12 12:49
If the OP is living in Japan, than converting driving licence is an option.
Any other case it will not be possible.

If you checked the requierments you will note the following

Residence (Zairyu) Card
Resident Certificate (Juminhyo)
by justmyday (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Driving insurance 2017/10/12 13:03
OP said they will be in Japan for a year. In that case, converting the license is the best option in my opinion.
by Gigi (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread