Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Would a child gain citizenship via adoption? 2017/10/12 05:13
I have tried searching for this online and I am struggling to find any answers to my question.

If my Japanese partner who I am married to and is currently in the process of becoming the legal parent (adaption) of my 9 year old and 6 year old children. What status of citizenship would the children receive? Would they be able to gain dual citizenship of their birth country and the country of their adoptive parent till they reach the age of 22 where they must then decide on which citizenship to keep?

The only information that I can really find says that at least one parent must be a Japanese national at the time of the child's birth.

Thank you for any advice possible!
by ConfusedParent (guest)  

Re: Would a child gain citizenship via adoption? 2017/10/12 12:13
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Would a child gain citizenship via adoption? 2017/10/12 17:43
Yes. Possibly:

The Minister of Justice may permit the naturalization of an alien notwithstanding that the alien does not fulfill the conditions set forth in items (1), (2) and (4) of paragraph 1 of Article 5, provided that the alien falls under any one of the following items:

(1) One who is a child (excluding a child by adoption) of a Japanese national and has a domicile in Japan;

**(2) One who is a child by adoption of a Japanese national and has had a domicile in Japan for one consecutive year or more and was a minor according to the law of its native country at the time of the adoption;**
by Sarif (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread