Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

1 night in Osaka or extra night in Kyoto 2017/10/12 15:15
I will be traveling to Japan at the end of the month, and was originally planning to spend 5 nights in Kyoto; however, I would like to see Dotonbori and Shinsaibashi. To add some more detail, I will be flying out of Kansai at the end of my trip.

Should I spend 5 nights in Kyoto, and make a day trip to Osaka, or spend 4 nights in Kyoto, then spend my last night in Osaka before we fly out of Kansai the next day?

Thank you!
by p4rtyh4rty (guest)  

Re: 1 night in Osaka or extra night in Kyoto 2017/10/12 18:21
Just spend 5 night in Kyoto. No good wasting time with check out and check in since Kyoto and Osaka are 25 minutes away from each other.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 1 night in Osaka or extra night in Kyoto 2017/10/12 20:31
Much better to stay in Kyoto all the time & do a day trip. You can then choose which day to go to Osaka on as well as avoiding unnecessary checking out & in.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: 1 night in Osaka or extra night in Kyoto 2017/10/12 23:35
While I agree with the previous two posters, there is obviously also the cost perspective. If your hotel in Kyoto is more expensive than an Osaka option, staying one night in Osaka is a possibility. But yes, in theory staying just one extra night in Kyoto would be easier.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: 1 night in Osaka or extra night in Kyoto 2017/10/13 02:46
If you want to see Dotonbori and Shinsaibashi, you should consider visiting at night. It is still a busy place during the day, but all the neon signs make it come alive at night. Whether to spend the night or not depends on your flight time the next day, and if you are willing to travel late night back to Kyoto. You can spend most of the day in Kyoto, then travel to Osaka and stay near Dotonbori. I love Kyoto very much (and Osaka not so much), but Dotonbori at night is worth a visit.
by Naniwa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 1 night in Osaka or extra night in Kyoto 2017/10/13 03:38
Thank you all for the replies!

What are the late night travel options from Osaka to Kyoto? As mentioned by someone above, I would prefer to visit Dotonbori at night.

Lastly, to answer someone above, my flight out of Kansai is at 5pm.
by p4rtyh4rty (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 1 night in Osaka or extra night in Kyoto 2017/10/13 04:14
Per this hyperdia search https://tinyurl.com/y9wrutrl returning shouldnt be a problem. The bottom option shows leaving Namba subway station at 23:06 & arriving at Kyoto 23:49

Re: 1 night in Osaka or extra night in Kyoto 2017/10/13 04:16
Posted too soon. In fact there is a similar option an hour later.

Re: 1 night in Osaka or extra night in Kyoto 2017/10/13 04:52
If you are staying around Sanjo (I guess from another thread), it will take more than one hour from Namba.

https://goo.gl/cQ7gHk

Unless you have a huge luggage I would prefer staying one night around Namba. You will have 4 nights in Kyoto already, then it is not so bad to stay one night in Osaka (Namba). Namba is convenient to go to KIX. Keep luggage at your hotel in Namba and you can see various spots in Osaka or do some shopping. From a former Osakan :).

by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: 1 night in Osaka or extra night in Kyoto 2017/10/13 05:26
Not sure about accommodations that are available now since the dates for your trip is close. But you could flip it around and stay in Osaka and then just take the 25mins to go to Kyoto day trips for the 4 days. Then the last day your already in Osaka and can just head to Namba and others.

Hope this helps! Have Fun!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

reply to this thread