Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

National holiday on Septeber 2018 2017/10/14 16:46
Hi,

We're planning a trip to Japan on Semptember 2018, and we noticed that there are 3 days of national holidays on Japan, at that month (17, 23-34 of that month).

Is there specific places which it's better or worse to be at these holidays?

Is public transporation available on national holidays?

Thank you.
by Assaf1990  

Re: National holiday on Septeber 2018 2017/10/15 16:58
Generally speaking, public transporation is available in Japan on national holidays. However, some services may operate on a reduced-service holiday schedule. A city bus schedule, for instance, would likely be the same as on Sundays. I'd suggest selecting the cities you plan to visit, checking their websites for links to public transportation, and looking at the schedules.

Typically, there are only TWO Japanese holidays in September: Keiro-no-hi (Respect for the Aged Day) and Shubu-no-hi (Autumnal Equinox Day).

You asked:
Is there specific places which it's better or worse to be at these holidays?

Well, if you're near a municipal facility that hosts an event with booze on Keiro-no-hi -- something that's fairly common in the Japanese city where I live -- there could be some drunken old folks wandering about afterward.

Also, tourist sites, shopping centers, hotels, places like Disneyland and so on tend to be more crowded on holidays. Possibly consider doing something low key on those days.
by Transporter (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: National holiday on Septeber 2018 2017/10/15 17:38
These holidays aren't really a big deal. I was there in Japan for both last month. They didn't impact me at all and no extra crowds or shops/sights were closed.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: National holiday on Septeber 2018 2017/10/15 18:02
Thank you both!
by Assaf1990 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread