Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR-West Kansai or Hankyu Tourist Pass? 2017/10/14 23:12
KIX Airport----Kyoto---Osaka----Nara----Osaka----KIX Airport

Above route is what I'm planning for our trip on Feb 2018.
However I'm quite confused between the difference of the 2 passes.

The first one allows us to use any means of transport within the certified location while the second one only allows us to use the railway?
Which do you think is better for us?

Thanks in advance!

by Debbie (guest)  

Re: JR-West Kansai or Hankyu Tourist Pass? 2017/10/15 09:12
Neither. JR Kasani pass will be overpriced for you travels. And the Hankyu pass doesn't even cover the KIX airport.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR-West Kansai or Hankyu Tourist Pass? 2017/10/15 09:13
And the JR West Kansai pass does not allow you to travel on any form of transport allowable. Only JR lines and some buses.

Re: JR-West Kansai or Hankyu Tourist Pass? 2017/10/15 09:48
Thanks for those information Hakata!
Are there other passes which suits us more?
by Debbie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR-West Kansai or Hankyu Tourist Pass? 2017/10/16 01:40
Transport is very cheap in the area you will be traveling. You may look into 1-2 day transit passes for the local subway/bus systems in Osaka and Kyoto to save a little each day. Travel between Osaka, Kyoto and Nara will only be 400-800 JPY each way if you avoid the bullet train. (And the area pass doesn't cover the bullet train anyway)

The area passes generally only pay off if you are traveling outside of the cities you mentioned, towards the limits of the covered area. For example, Himeji, Ise, or Hikone.

So I would just not worry about a pass at all, and then you are free to use the most convenient means to travel for each destination.
by Me2 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR-West Kansai or Hankyu Tourist Pass? 2017/10/16 09:56
I see but how about the transportation from KIX to Kyoto?
I think it's quite expensive.
by Debbie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR-West Kansai or Hankyu Tourist Pass? 2017/10/16 14:09
Yeah the JR Haruka service KIX to Kyoto Station is 3370 yen. So yes you could spent 2200 for a one day JR Kansai pass to save some coin. So you'd have to use non-reserved seating though.

Although if the aim is to save money, then using the KIX JR rapid service to Osaka, then a regular JR rapid/local Kyoto, is 1880 yen. Maybe cheaper again if you use private non JR railways.

reply to this thread